anyone got a mechanic as a husband? lol

mine is but he's not home right now and too busy to take the call. anyway quick question: my transmition started acting up about 3wks ago and i checked the transmition fluid, it was really low so i put some in (ok i had a friend's husband that knows cars to put it in so i didn't do it wrong lol, dh was deployed at the time) anyway my dh came back home and he checked it and it was brown, smelt burnt. we brought it to firestone for a flush, but they said there was metal particals in it and they wouldn't touch it. thing is i got a flush back in Feb...i did do alot of traveling, i put about 14,000 miles on it...could it just need another service to it or could there be something else wrong? we called all the trans shops but most are booked or closed so i was just wondering till we get it in on Monday...mainly to calm my nerves cuz trans's are expensive! TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Im sorry I cant help with that, I was going to say my husband works with cars but not in that capacity-yet. Hope it all works out for you.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:54 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• ok thanks. dh just called me, i had put trans fluid in the back of the van for just in case purposes, and it turns out i bought the wrong kind and put it in there! so he called the dealership and they said it could just be the fluids mixing causing it to be brown and all...but dh says he checked and didn't see any metal particals in it. (as for the burnt smell i don't know) we finally found a trans shop open and they're putting it in the shop to check it out as i type...i just hope to God all it needs is another flush...cuz it hasn't given us any problems with slipping or anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• the thing that strikes me as strange though and something that could be a bad sign is that your transmission fluid should NEVER get low...if it does its a sign of a leak...it could be either leaking out of a seal or into another point of origin inside the transmission itself....i would definitely take it to a tranny tech and have them look at it.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• yeah the guy at the trans shop said we're gonna have to get it replaced (even though they said they don't know what's wrong with it until they take it apart)...dang it...yeah i was wondering how it got low too, cuz there is no leak or anything, and i know it shouldn't get low, especially not after 14,000 miles right after a flush. i'm notorius for looking for leaks, i hate leaks. i'm always on the prowl for them lol. so unless it was leaking into the engine or something there was no leak
    Anonymous

• unfortunately they are telling you the truth about having to remove the tranny to find out whats wrong...ive gone through FOUR trannys...each in a different car so i definitely know...lol
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 4, 2010