What do u think of home school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• what about it? I was home educated and if we can't find a good Montesorri or Waldorf school , my kids will be home educated too.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• hi, i have 4 kids that go to public school in a suburban setting. I also work in the admissions office of a private 4 year college. home schooling can be wonderul because the lector is not bound by all the same rules and regulations of a state or school district. a basic test once a year to prove your student is on task is usually all that is needed. The only thing (problem) that i have noticed with students who have gone their entire academic careers home schooling have not been able to master the social aspect of their life. Parents of home schooled children do not see this as a problem because they set up playdates for their kids. This allows the child to interact only with like minded thinkers. The student then hits his/her teenage years not having any idea how to deal with social aspects outside their comfort zone. just a thought.
    quarine

Answer by quarine at 11:24 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My Sister has been a teacher for the past 17 yrs and we have talked about it. In her opinion, which makes sense to me, is that there are college degrees for a reason. You can't just pick up a book and expect to know how to teach a child. Also the interaction with the outside world is important for development, whether it be with peers, or teachers, etc.
    I also feel it's not my place to tell others what to do with their children so I don't judge others for how they see fit to raise their child. Public school is what I want for our children. Our boys to great in school, and they all learned the basics at home with me before kindergarten.. They didn't attend any preschool/daycare, and are above average in everything. I'm very proud of them.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I am a public school teacher and I personally dont have a problem with home schooling. As stated above my only problem is everybody cant teach. People have degrees and training for a reason. Im a teacher and I would be uncomfortable teaching geometry or biology and lord knows chemistry. What do you do when you get to something you dont understand how to teach? What do you do when your children just dont get it? Thats my only thing. I also dont like it when the kids teach themselves. I know a kindergarten teacher who was homeschooled k-12 and she always talks about how she taught her alot of the high school subjects and Im thinking thats no fun and quite lonely.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I think you are a troll.

HTH!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• No, if she were a troll, she would have told you not to home school. Most home schoolers know not to use the "u" as a word. They spell out the word "you". That would have made whoever you were calling a troll a true troll.
    Anonymous

• I homeschool, and my kids are doing great. In fact, my 4 year old is doing 1st grade math. It's not for everyone, because you have to be fully dedicated, but you also don't need a fancy degree. There is a plethora of great resources online to help as well.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Im homeschooling my oldest right now.

I think if you feel its best for them then go for it. I dont think you should put your kids into a school system that you know is horrible and will do more harm then good....thats why Im glad there are options like homeschooling or private schools.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• i think it depends on the mother/father. if you are goign to be gungho about it and force your child to do it even if he/she doesn't want to do it, it can be a great way to spend family time, and control the outside influences your child is exposed to. if you are not one of those parents, if you are going to let your child decide when and if he/she is going to do the work, this is the worst thing you can do.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 2:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I homeschooled my sons from 1995 until 2001, 2003 and 2004. My oldest started school as a 10th grader (should have been a 9th grader but he tested high on the placement test), 2nd son started as a 9th grader and my younger 2 started as 7th graders. They all did fantastic transitioning from homeschool to traditional school.
    Anonymous