School

How have your kids done in school so far this year?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 11:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• 7th grader- A little bit of a transition going from elementary to Jr. High, but doing very well now.

1st grader- Awesome!

Kindergartner- Awesome!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:45 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Very well, they go to a good school and i trust them. My Kindergartener has done very well. They do things a bit different unlike other schools. they have some technology to learn. But she has come a long way and knows all her abc, 1 2 3. can write her name and do other things. My preschooler is still behind that is why she is in the learning center/pre-k. but doing good.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 1:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My 4th grader: grades are good but her attitude towards school is awful. She's been late 4 times, doesn't do her homework, lies about her work, is sloppy and careless with her work, fails tests and papers (she keeps her grades up by doing extra credit). she just doesn't care about school at all any more.

My 2nd grader: doing AWESOME. He had straight As first quarter and that was after getting Cs and Bs in 1st grade and barely being able to read. His reading has improved drastically and he's having a great year

My 1st grader: struggling but doing okay. She just has to get more confidence and learn to concentrate. I won't be surprised if her teacher (or next year) says she needs to be tested for ADD. She's getting Bs and Cs.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I'm really struggling with my second grader. She hates school, has hated it ever since kindergarden. I feel mean forcing her to go. She doesn't apply herself, but she gets straight A's, is very well liked by adults teachers/admins/cooks etc and children in her class. She has several friends and no problem with popularity. I've asked the counselor to talk to her, and she has, nothing new there. She says she's bored, and she often complains that the activities are too childish. She isn't in the best of schools, next year we plan on being in a better school district, and perhaps I can get her into a GATE program or something. If that doesn't work out then I think I'll consider homeschool. I homeschooled my oldest for 2 years while we lived out of the country, so I know what to do. Anyone else out there got any other suggestions?
    Almitra29

Answer by Almitra29 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My second grader isn't having as good a year as he did in 1st grade. His grades are still good but when he does the start testing he tests below where he is suppose to be. The school says they can hold him back if he is not testing where he should be by the end of the year. We don't want him to be held back but we would have to go to the school board in order to not have him held back. If his grades weren't as good as they are then i would consider it but i feel he is understanding the material just not testing very well. Any suggestions on how i can help him so that he can test better. I did buy a subscription to the star test website so am hoping that this will help him.
    proud2bmom128

Answer by proud2bmom128 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2010

• My child loves school and is in a private Montessori classroom. It fits his learning style and needs. No homework, no grades, and four certified teachers to 12 students in the class. Worth every penny.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2010