So can some of you Winter Wonderland ladies help out this Sunshine State girl when it comes to what to pack to keep warm for my trip to NYC next week?

Living in Florida it seldom gets colder than hoodie sweaters (although right now we are having a mighty cold front) Ive got the basics: sweaters, scraf, winter coat, boots. But do you ladies who are used to 30 and below weather have any more suggestions on what I should take with or any keeping warm tips so that I dont freeze my little bum off?

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Travel

• sounds like you have it covered, I love ear muffs, they don't mess up you hair and you can leave them on going inside places...Have an awesome trip!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Pack some tissues in your purse, the cold wind makes me eyes water, so they are a must in the winter... Otherwise I think you have it under control.. Have fun!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:43 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Layers is key!! Especially if you're going to be going indoor and outdoor frequently cuz it's easy to overheat once you get inside. Last year this time we were going from New England to Disney for the week. You sound like you're pretty well prepared!
    yezay

Answer by yezay at 11:46 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• only thing that i would add is long johns if you are going to be outside for any legnth of time, they must be skin tight to work.
    drivnkids

Answer by drivnkids at 12:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• drivinkids: where could I get long johns?
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 12:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Layers. Always remember layers. Even if you have a heavy duty winter coat, you'll want a hoodie and a long sleep shirt underneath. Make sure to get ear muffs or a hat that covers your ears. Nothing is worse then getting cold wind in the ears to cause an awesome ear infection. Make sure your gloves are more then just those knitted ones. Those will not keep your hands warm. Whether you double them up with something else or get those heavy duty snow gloves is up to you. It depends on how long you'll be outside. If you're going to be outside for more then a hour or two, again remember to layer. As you sweat your body temprature is comprimised. Sweating causes hypothermia to set in quicker. So if you start to sweat then open your coat to let cold air in, or take off a layer.

You can get long johns at any walmart, meijer, target, or store of that kind.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Adens mom here in FL they are called Thermals or Thermal underwear, walmart has them usually in the Pajama section,if the womens section doesn't have them check the mens..
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 12:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I would say make sure you have remote start for your rental car, but no one drives in the city. I'm from Long Island so its a must. Just be sure that your boots are warm and comfortable, you'll be doing a lot of walking.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• LOL - honey, if you live in Florida, chances are you've never SEEN what you'll need to survive up north!! I would hit some thrift stores and consignment shops when you get there. Buy some cute stuff for cheap and dress like a local! And good luck - one nice thing - you'll LOVE Florida when you get home!!
    hatinnd

Answer by hatinnd at 1:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Just for future reference, the best time weather wise to visit NYC is in the spring or the fall. The winter is skin stinging cold and the summer is thick and muggy.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2010