Do you believe meditation is necessary for spiritual growth?

Many believe that meditation is necessary for spiritual growth. Do you believe this?

Personally, I do believe that it is. I have certainly reached spiritual truths during meditation that I otherwise would not have known. However over the years I've gotten out of the habit of meditating. That is why I created a group here for meditation. (To join pm me) I post short meditation clips. Meditation does not have to be long. 5 minutes a day can be very refreshing.
During meditation I feel connected to the universe. Even if I do not see anything from the other side, I still know I'm apart of something grander. Through meditation I relax my body and strengthen my faith. Its a win win. :)

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 11:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it's different for everyone. For me, it is necessary. But some people have other ways of growing.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I do believe it is necessary. In fact one of my news years resolution is to start meditating on different bible stories.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 12:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I think it helps with your spiritual connection. I dont want to say its necessary because it probably isnt for some but I think it helps me.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Eh I personally think that for a human having a rest from life, and turning inward helps alot on many different levels. Destress, connect spiritually etc....
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I do think it's necessary, however I don't think it necessarily has to be what we typically think of as 'meditation' (ie. seated in the lotus position visualizing something.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• To me it is important.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• It is extremely important to me. Unfortunately, I have not taken the time to do so lately. I had one of my most spiritual experiences during meditation while in labor. (Meditation is also great for pain management!)
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 6:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Not necessarily, but I do think it helps one progress faster.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• No. I don't think it's necessary for everyone. But for me it has been a great addition to other connective activities (prayer, ritual). I think for me it's that one time a day when I get to be in a quiet space and time to just connect... The rest of my life is so busy and hectic that meditation is the only time I get to be alone with the Gods.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Absolutely! Not only for religion but for anything. Im not a good problem solver, for mental/relationship things usually, until I have meditated on something for a few days.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 9:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2010