Iraq to Pursue Blackwater Case

Thoughts?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100102/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iraq_blackwater_8

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 11:55 AM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 11:55 AM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Wow, I actually just said in another question that they should've been charged and tried in Iraq in the first place. I think it's a good decision. That's where the crime was committed so I think that's where the trial should be held.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• if they killed people just for the fun of it than it is wrong!!! they "say" they got shot at?? shoot the shooter is okay, but 17-innocent people is just murder!!

Should have gone to trial!!!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Is it just me or are some people real quick to decide these people are guilty? Maybe they were shot at first. Do have evidence they werent? I havent read much on this story so I may be off base but it just seems like people are REAL quick decide our soldiers are guilty and they are REAL quick to assume these guys are guilty too. And by the way...do you REALLY think they will get a fair trial in Iraq!!!!????? Please.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I honestly believe they would get as much of a fair trial in Iraq as they would here. I have never ONCE said these men were guilty of anything. But when someone commits a crime in a country, they are tried in the country the crime was committed. Why on earth wouldn't these men be tried in Iraq? Why weren't they in the first place? It's a matter of jurisdiction, and since the crime took place against Iraqi civilians I honestly believe that the entire process should've been carried out in Iraq - not here.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• The article says that contractors had immunity from local prosecution in Iraq up until yesterday. I agree with you mom030404, there are people and not just on here that are VERY quick to assume these men are guilty, before we've seen all the evidence.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 3:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• They only had immunity from local prosecution, so the way I see it is that the Iraqi gov't still could've prosecuted them. Guilty or not, the trial was dismissed on poor reasons and if these men DID murder 17 civilians they should have to stand trial for their deeds. If they're not guilty then there's nothing to worry about, if they are then they should be very concerned. And just like some are saying that we assume they're guilty, they're assuming that they're not.

So BlueCollarMama and momof030404 I want to know what you would do if it had been your S/O or loved one that was killed by these men? If their trial was dismissed due to technicalities but there was the opportunity for them to be prosecuted where the actual crime was committed, would you seek for the other trial to happen? Or would you say forget it, justice shouldn't be served to those who killed the person you love?
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• What happens when people have immunity here - I am thinking of diplomats? They do whatever the hell they want, and don't give a damn for the rules, because they are protected by that immunity. I think the same is true for these contractors - our soldiers are not totally immune - then these people shouldn't be. They should be tried in Iraq, and Blackwater should fund a super defense for them. You know that the sense of 'I can't be held accountable' was one that made a difference in how the company and all their employees behaved, just as it does for diplomats here.

I predict that if these contractors are actually tried in Iraq, Blackwater will dump them like used kleenex.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 3:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Not REAL sure why you are getting so defensive mommy. That response wasnt geared at you but the other PP that seemed to assume their guilt and MANY others that seem to think ALL our people, in any capacity, over there are guilty first. If I was a wife of one of those I am SURE I would want justice..how silly of you to imply I wouldnt. I do not think with the enormous anti American sentiment over there that they would get a fair trial. ANd you are speaking like the trial would be JUST like an American trial. It wont.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• And trials of people who have killed loves ones get dismissed on technicalities everyday. And the "if their not guilty they have nothing to worry about" is an asinine statement You obviously have never dealt with the justice department..or do you agree with the death penalty because EVERYONE found guilty IS guilty? I HAVE dealt with the U.S. justice system and my DH was screwed! Everyone who is innocent arent ALWAYS found that way!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2010