My son is 4 days old and only drinking about 9 oz. a day (through 24 hours) he weights 7 lbs. Is that ok? I'm worried he's not eating enough.

And it takes him an hour just to drink an ounce and a half. I can barley keep him awake to feed him. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Then you wake him up and you give him more to eat.
    It is notorious for babies that young to fall asleep while eating. Especially if they're all warm and cozy.
    The Lactation consultant I talked with when DS was born told me to strip him down to his diaper. Being a little chilly helps him stay awake and eat more. If he's gassy he won't eat as much if at all. So make sure he's burping or tooting. If he's not, then lay him on his belly and gently move his knees to and from his belly. This will help move and releas the gas. Or you can lay on belly down on your shoulder or lap and pat his back. Either way, get the gas out. This will help him actually be able to tell when he's hungry.

At four days old he isn't going to be eating a lot. My daughter only drank 1-2 ounces when she was first born, but gradually started eating more as the days passed.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:18 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Um, you need to take him into the dr. ASAP. 9 oz is no where near enough. He will not survive on 9 oz.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I took a breastfeeding class about a month ago and she explained that the premixed bottles they give you at the hospital are misleading because they are 2 oz and nb can't drink 2 oz. keep in mind that a babys stomach is about the size of a large marble at birth.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• i agree with threeunder3. a baby that young should b eating atleast 72 oz a day. drs. asap mom
    Anonymous

• do u only feed him when he crys for the bottle? babys that young should b fed every 3-4 hrs. and on DEMAND meaning if he isnt crying for food. but u know he hasnt eating for 3-5 hrs. feed him. make him eat good luck mom
    Anonymous

• if ur having trouble keeping him awake. up wrap him from his blankets. even go as far as undressing him. he is to comfy.
    Anonymous

• I breastfed and I guess another benefit of that was that my boobs don't measure ounces! What I mean is that I didn't
    know how many ounces they were eating - I don't think you should be so worried about the oz.. And if I remember correctly,
    my Ped. said it was normal for babies to actually lose weight right after birth. Trust yourself. With my first I thought I would break him for sure - but we both survived!!
    hatinnd

Answer by hatinnd at 1:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I am not sure hoe much a newborn should be taking form a bottle as mine were breastfed BUT I would call the doctor just to double check. I know BF babies for the first few days are only getting a few table spoons of colostrum at a time so I guess it doesn't surprise me that a bottle fed baby may only take in small amounts as well. In the mean time while you wait to hear back from the doctor make sure he is producing multiple wet diapers and several dirty diapers a day. That is a good indicator that your baby is getting enough.

As for the keeping him awake to eat. try stripping him down and if you are really having trouble you can use a room temperature damp rag on his head and feet. Some newborns just tend to sleep more than others. I would def. check in with his ped though!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I looked it up and they should have their weight X 2.5 and that is the amt. of oz. they should have (of formula) a day. so at 7lbs, he should be consuming around 17.5 oz., so rigt now he's getting about half that. wake him up and make sure eat eats no less than every 3 hrs
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• 1oz every 2 hours is at the very least 12 oz.. BM that'd be fine.

72 oz formula was way off lol .. 16 oz formulawould be good.. I mean 9 oz is low - it would be low normal for breastmilk, is it breastmilk? Often babies even older will only eat 1 oz per hour and younger often will only eat 1/2 oz per hour, so if this is breastmilk that is intake that is not far off. If it is formula it is low. How are the diapers? If they are good and wet, not yellow (concentrated urine is yellow - brownish yellow) and a lot of poohs maybe baby is just a little small and needs to get more efficient at eating. Of course, my son wouldn't latch at first (tongue-tie) and we gave BM in bottle.. much to our dismay he could not eat out of bottles AT ALL. We tried EVERY bottle and finally we got me a nipple shield and he latched and has nursed since. Maybe your baby can't eat out of bottles. Try a spoon or maybe an SNS? And call an LC!

Anonymous