Napping?!?

My son will be 2 in february, and I want to know when or if its s good time to have him stop taking naps? His naptime "block is fom 12 to 3pm, and his bedtime is at 730-8pm...whats your opinions on this? should he still take naps? when will he stop? ( Its funny because NOW im wishing I COULD take a nap everyday)

soldiermom1986

Asked by soldiermom1986 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids were all still taking approx 2 hour naps until they were at least 3. Once they didn't need to sleep, I still felt they needed to rest and we instituted a rest time where they could read books in their room, for a minimum of 1 hour after lunchtime. Sometimes they would still fall asleep, but other days they would just play quietly in their rooms.

Answer by missanc at 12:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• If he will still take a nap then he still needs a nap. It's a good idea to at least have a rest time for them even after napping stops. My oldest stopped taking naps on his own at when he was 3 or just before but I still had him do "rest time" They even did nap/rest time in pre-K when he was 4.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 12:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My two year old (who turns 3 this month) still takes naps. Typically he sleeps from an hour and a half to 2 or sometimes 3 hours. Bedtime in our house is promptly 7 pm. With out his nap and going to bed on time he is a cranky mess. I don't believe in the parent taking away nap time, the child should when they are good and ready. My oldest (who just turned 5) stopped taking naps when he was 2 years old. He just stopped taking them on his own. Despite this though he still has an hour and a half quiet time in his room. He may look at books, lay in bed or play quietly, as long as he has some down time. I know that lots of his friends who are 4 and 5 years old still take naps. Every child is different. Is there a reason why you want to cut out your child's nap? If it's because you think you have to, I'd say wait. Let your child cut them out when they are ready. If they are still napping, obviously they still need it.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 12:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Naptime is based on the kid. if he still needs it, then he needs it. He will let you know when he doesnt need them anymore. I know some kids that stopped napping at 12 months, and I know kids that are 5 years old that still need naps. Dont change it if you dont want to! He's still young, and youre better off letting him nap then having him be super cranky all day =)
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• my son is 2 yrs and 3 months and really still needs his nap. when he was 2, if he didn't have a nap, he would be so grumpy and sleepy and ready for bed at like 5 pm!!! now he's a little better if he won't take a nap but still gets kind of grumpy. i think some kids outgrow naps early but my MIL says her kids napped until k-garten!!!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• i should have said when he doesn't nap, he stays in his bed for a while but refuses to sleep. he'll be in bed for like an hour without going to sleep.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2010