Potty training...hmmm

When is a good time to start potty training? I know not to jump from diapers to underwear overnight, that it takes alot of patience and trying, but what's a good way to determine when my son is ready, and what are some good tricks to try? Hell be 2 in feb, and he already knows when he needs a diaper. Ill ask him "You want a new diaper?" he nods and runs to his room where i change him. So he gets what a diaper change is and why we do it, so what should i do next?

soldiermom1986

Asked by soldiermom1986 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can start to introduce him to the potty and see how he deals with it. But don't push. Let him play with the potty chair and have him sit on it at certain times during the day. I learned after training my twins that they will do it when they are ready, but don't push, because it just scares them. My two year old is terrified of the potty right now so I am waiting until she is completely ready before I try again with her. Good luck!!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• a lot of people will probably tell you to wait and all, but I started both my kids at 12 months. My first I started at 12 months but her birthday is in april when it starts getting warm out. So I tought her, but then when it was warm and she was outside she didn't want to so I didn't force it we then only did it if we were in the house or if it was rainy and she couldn't go outside. She was I think 18 months old when I started doing it all the time again and it took a month after that for her to learn. She was fully trained at 19 months old. I just would sit her on the potty and praise her tell her what a big girl she was and oh I used the Elmo time potty training DVD on both my girls and it really worked. My youngest I started at 12 months she was nearly trained at 15 months old, but she ended up with rotavirus for 3 weeks and was in the ER and everything so we had to back off for a while CONTINUE......
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• We started back up when she was I think like 18.5 months old she will be 2 on the 11th and she has been fully trained for almost a month now. She was my hardest. I didn't use pullups or diapers only undies and the big key is being consistant. And not useing diapers or pullups while at home. I kept my kids in undies all day long and with my first she hated being wet or dirty so she cought on pretty fast this one she peed and pooped didn't care at first, but I kept her in undies as much as I thought about going back to diapers and then she decided she had enough of the dirtyness she wont even tell me she has to go potty she just takes off her clothes and goes by herself now lol. A lot of people say try if they don't get it to stop try later but the thing is to me that is confusing so I believe once you start you need to keep at it as long as it takes. I think as long as you are consistant they will get it
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• you can start introducing him now! try changing his diaper in the bathroom. this way everytime you go in there he can sit on the potty just to get used to it. Give him a book or something so he can hang out for a little while, and eventually he will go pee in there. Obviously at first it is going to be accidental, but make a big deal about it. Create a "potty dance" that you can do in celebration. he will get very excited and he will want to go more and more. IMO try not waiting too long. I worked in daycare in a potty training room, and I had a lot of experience with parents that wanted to wait until their kid was "ready", and by that time kids tend to become stubborn bc they know what they want and they dont want something new. He is not too young to start now! My DD is 17 months and we just started doing this with her, she has already started going on the potty! PM me if you need any tips, I got a ton of them!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2010