reheating breastmilk?

I was just told thats a no no! I warm it up by running it under warm or hot water til its luke warm... I usually pump about 4oz from each breast and my baby eats about 2oz every feeding. so there is still 2oz in the bottle and I put it back in the fridge and next feeding I run it under the tap again until its luke warm. is that bad????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• here is a guide for safe heating and storage
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/reusing-expressedmilk.html
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I am not sure when my kids were breast feed I just through out the extra formula cause I mean it's not like we have more or that we have to go out and by more. Now when they were on formula (they both stopped nursing on there own so had to go to formula) then I would feed them whatever was left I put in the fridge then I would heat it and give it to them, but if it had already been reheated then I threw it out
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• just dont nuke it!
    soldiermom1986

Answer by soldiermom1986 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Your doing fine! Refrigerated breast milk can be re-heated 1 time after baby has first used it - must be at the very next feeding and use it within 4 or 5 hours. Otherwise throw it out!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• 5-5-5 = hours fresh out of the fridge- five days int he fridge-5 months in the freezer. It is good for only about 2 hours after the babies mouth has touched it. Defrosted milk is good int he fridge for 24 hours in the fridge. I got this off of my sheet from the hospital from when DD was born. I am sure this stuff varies from place to place depending on where you look. Reheating it is not an issue offering the same bottle more than once is the problem. Personally I would just put less in the bottle and if you need to get more you can.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I don't think that you can do this if it is from a bottle that the baby used previously because of the back wash.
    donzgurl

Answer by donzgurl at 3:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• your not supposed to use it aftef the baby has already drank off of it because of the backwash and germs. Just put how much your baby drinks into the bottle and put the remainder in another bottle or cup.
    mommyajay

Answer by mommyajay at 4:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• BUY A SMALL CROCKPOT KEEP IT ON LOW PLACE YOUR BREAST MILK IN THERE AND IT WILL WARM UP FOR BABY. THIS IS WHAT I DID FOR MY SON WHO NURSED AND WAS BOTTLE FEED WHEN I WAS AT WORK AND HE WAS AT BABYSITTER.
    cat260

Answer by cat260 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2010