HOw do i introduce a blanket to my 10 month daughter when she sleeps in her crib? she is physically ready walking etc,

it just worries me that she will suffocate. it is in the single digits at night here and I know that i want a blanket at night as she probually does too. any suggestions?

indysownlilbit

Asked by indysownlilbit at 1:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe start with a light receiving blanket- they are small and very light.

Answer by Bmat at 1:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• try a wearable blanket, or sleep sack. Honestly, I don't think your one year old is going to suffocate. You could also try a knitted blanket with holes in it. That's what my baby has always slept with.
    ashleybgarcia

Answer by ashleybgarcia at 1:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• sorry 10 month old. close enough :)
    ashleybgarcia

Answer by ashleybgarcia at 1:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• she's 10 months and doesn't have a blanket? just put one on her, only thing that will happen is she'll be warm. she's old enough to move it if she wants. i just can't believe she's 10 months and never had a blanket...
    Anonymous

• I don't think she will suffocate form a blanket being in the crib. At 10 months she is old enough to roll away if it's impeding her breathing or fuss if she is tangles. I would suggest blanket or very heavy sleepers if it's the cold you are worried about though. She is not likely to actually cover with it and even if she did it wouldn't be sufficient for keeping her warm.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• definitely wont suffocate =) She will be perfectly safe! The main time people worry about babies suffocating is when they are too little and dont have a lot of control over their head. if their neck muscles arent strong then they wouldnt be able to pick theyre head up and move it if they were in trouble. but because she is 10 months old she is perfectly safe! =)
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• i know some disagree with me, but my 9 week old has used a blanket since he got home. he's slept in the crib since then as well. i placed two rolled up receiving blankets on either side bof him ad tucked him in real tight. the only thing he does with a blanket besides sleeping is kicking it off.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I'm with Marri357. My daughter is 4.5 months old and has used a blanket from day 1. My MIL made receiving blankets that are bigger than the ones you buy and I swaddle her from the armpits down. She likes her hands up around her head, so there is no use putting her hands in there. All but one of the blankets are one layer of flannel. There is one that is two layers of flannel and that's what we've been using since the cold the weather has started. My daughter also never moves in her sleep (at least not yet anyway.) She'll move her arms or her legs a bit, but where I put her down is where she is when she/I wake up.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2010