Cleaning the toilet

I am sure it is clean with all I have done to it, I just can not get rid of the tan streaks that are left where the water flows down the bowl. I have used bleach, vinegar, scrubbing bubbles, amonia and baking soda. Not together of course. I had something called Vanisol once but I can no longer find it and it was quite the butt kicker....it even smoked! I would prefer not to use something like that if I don't have to, even if I could find it.

Any ideas?

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I googled Vanisol and found it at Ace Hardware. So hardware stores may be the place to look for it if you still want it.

Answer by Bmat at 1:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Wow- that last stuff sounds scary. If you have used bleach, letting it soak over the area- which means letting the toilet fill up pretty far, then I'd try pumice stone. I understand that it won't scratch the porcelain. I have used it, and it seems OK. I use it mainly for that line around the water level in the toilet that won't brush or bleach away.

Answer by Bmat at 1:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Try using denture tablets like polident. I do this and it works great! I have to agree with Bmat, I don't think I'd want my toilet to smoke! lol Good luck!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 1:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• A new toilet.

Answer by louise2 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner is the best, and it's not expensive. Let it sit for a couple minutes then it should come right off.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• When we had hard water I had to use Snobowl- not sure of the spelling- to get rid of the stains/streaks.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• May have to use a pumice stone? We had hard water stains like that and nothing would get rid of it. Vanisol made your oilet smoke scary?!
    sararsara

Answer by sararsara at 2:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• depending on the region, that may not be a simple hard water stain, but a rust stain (heavy iron deposits in the ground water)- Iron Out works wonders on most anything that has a rust stain, and will get rid of almost all mineral deposits.

another thing you can do is a low flow flush, and take the water out below the line (as low as you can) and use ceramic cleaner (like ceramibrite) and that should fix it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I agree with MrsLeftLane--The Works is great, removes almost anything from the toilet bowl. Just be careful not to let it touch anything else in the bathroom. I got some on my metal sink faucet and it permanently damaged the finish. I should have been more careful. Anyway, it doesn't cost much and will probably fix the problem for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• What we found that works is CLR. Clear out the water in your toilet, then fill it with the CLR and let it sit overnight.

Answer by missanc at 12:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2010