thoughts on Colorado Christmas Eve "miracle"...? epidural and risk of cardiac arrest.

I know this will be controversial but I'm hoping we can all be mature. :)

I saw the family on TV this morning, you know the mom died in labor, baby was sectioned out, wasn't breathing but they all ended up fine. Of course I am so happy of the outcome but I am wondering why everything says it's a mystery why she went into cardiac arrest when that is a known risk of epidural? Obviously it is a small risk but still. Why don't they say "She had an epidural, and shortly thereafter went into cardiac arrest, which is a rare side effect of epidurals" ?

i'm not trying to say no one should get an epidural or that epidurals are horrible but i don't see why they shouldn't use this as an opportunity to say there are risks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Where did it say she had an epi? I never read it in any story that she had one.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I saw the family on TV this morning, you know the mom died in labor, baby was sectioned out, wasn't breathing but they all ended up fine. Of course I am so happy of the outcome

You are "so happy" with the outcome? A baby is now motherless, and you're happy?
    Anonymous

• You are "so happy" with the outcome? A baby is now motherless, and you're happy?

The baby is not motherless. They are both doing good now.

It's a miracle from God. What a great Christmas gift!
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Both mother AND child died and BOTH were revived. It was a Christmas miracle.
    Anonymous

• yeah anon :01, i should have said along with now all are fine, the the mother was revived!! that was a big omission on my part!

it said on the show i watched that she had an epidural and shortly later went into cardiac arrest.

-OP
    Anonymous

• i thought when i heard the story about the possibility of epidural because i knew epis could lead to death even if rare. i found this when i was researching it. it's impossible to know what really caused it i guess but i do think people should know the risks of epis.

http://yourbirthright.info/2009/12/30/the-miracle-mom-the-rest-of-the-story/

here's a quote from it

"Unfortunately the story the media is giving is covering up the facts of what really happened and I am infuriated that the entire story is not being told. In eliminating the TRUTH of what happened we are preventing women from getting honest information about “routine” hospital procedures that carry multiple risks. This is NOT fair!!"
    Anonymous

• I too think the outcome wonderful and such a miracle. However, I would never expect the medical community involved in this delivery to link anything to anything that they may have done, such as an epi, out of their fear of being sued.
    Anonymous

• if you READ the listed, known, admitted to side affects... cardiac arrest is on it- it is a known side affect of an epidural or spinal (not the same procedure, but the same risk)... kinda sad that all people are focusing on is that they are ok, not what caused the issue to begin with.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• The mother has a right to privacy on what happened. So if she doesn't want info released about her own health care that is her choice. I doubt many of you would want your records released fully. It was a miracle and we don't know what caused it. Those who hate epidurals don't get one and leave the rest of us alone.
    Anonymous

• anon- I did not say that to stir up your emotions on the matter, but simply stated a fact. no i do not agree with the use of an epi for childbirth personally, but we all have our own risks we're willing to take. that is an unacceptable risk as far as I am concerned. its a preference, and unfortunately most women do not realize that it IS even a risk, because they do not read the list of side affects in the fine print.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2010