What would you do with a small fortune?

What would you do if you and your dh were getting a small fortune in a court case? I mean how would your life change? Would you both loose your minds and go on a spending spree? Or, would you sit down and really give what you would do some thought?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 1:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We wouldn't really need to think about it! We would pay off as much debt as possible. If we had money left over after that, then we would make sure to set aside some for LO. And then, if there was some left over, we would invest in real estate. That's our plan right now -so coming into money would just speed it up!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Dh and I have talked about this. We would first pay off my car and then pay off other debts such as student loans. And we would put money aside for college for our ds and probably use what was left to buy a home. What about you op?
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I'd have a give it some thought. As tempting as it is to pay off all my bills, I'd also like to generate more income as in starting my own business. Also, gotta keep an eye out for Uncle Sam's cut and how to offset that!
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 2:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Depends on how much we won or got. But we definity pay off all our bills and our house. If we recieved enough, we would move to a wormer state.

Answer by louise2 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I just did come into a small fortune. We have not changed our lifestyle. We did some remodeling , kitchen, master bath, patio... The rest is in a savings account and will stay there until we find a better investment for it. It seems that there is no great investment opportunities out there right now.
    Anonymous

I like this plan with the home remodeling and remaining in a similar lifestyle so as not to go broke immediately. However, I differ in my feelings on investments at this time. When the economy is down is a time that many with money at the time are able to get stocks, real estate, etc., for much less than before and make a tidy profit when the economy rebounds.
    Anonymous

• Define small fortune. I'm gonna say 50,000. For us that would be HUGE! The first thing I would do would be to buy us two new small pre-owned cars. right now we have one and it's about to die in the next couple of years. I have no idea what we will do. It's a scary though. Next I would catch up on my mortgage. We are so behind. I would then catch up on some bills and stock out pantry so when the money is gone we will still have plenty of food for a while. After that if there was any left I would have to think about what we truly needed at that time. I would love to help my parents as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• OP here,Thanks,bjw for asking:)
    My dh has a case pending. It's a pretty sad thing that happened to my FIL. First off I just want justice for what happened but there is the money that may come and I wannna think about it. I was scared that if dh and I did not have a verbal "plan" that he might go banannas when the most unbelieveable happens. This has been in the process for nearly ten years.
    We are talking about putting ourselves and our kids in a place where educationally we can all reach our goals,that is the biggest thing we would do. Dh wants a new truck and a vacation.
    We have three old cars/van/suv that alternate in taking any money in our account away! So,it would be freeing to get rid of that problem. It would be so liberating!!
    Anonymous

• Every bill would be paid off. I am so sick of debt collectors :(

If there was enough left over, then we would buy things that we've been doing without for awhile.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I would build my business and go from there.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2010