Is this an okay baby name? I mean what do you think?

Okay so a very good friend of mine is pregnant with a girl. She is Caucasian and he is African American. Which is fine. The father is not in the pic. so he has not had a say. My friend wants to name her baby: Ebony Amour. Plus her last name is White. Ebony Amour white? Black love White? IMO Is that she is going to be so made fun of later in life! I think that is a cruel way to set her up for teasing!

Pre-ordered responses to the following few asinine remarks :

'It's none of your business' Duh. I was just curious if anyone agreed with me. What do you think of this name for this situation. I don't care who's business it is it's just a question.

'You have no say' Again thank you for stating the obvious. That was not the question. I wondered what you though of the name for a multi-raced child.

To those who answer for real: I'm not trying to be a butt but I get tried of the answers that don't really answer the actual Q.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• It sounds like she is trying too hard to prove to the baby she was conceived out of love. And there are just some names that make it easier for other kids to tease about and I agree with you that this is one of them.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• ya i think she will get made fun of for her name. hopefully she will change her mind for her child's sake.
    Anonymous

• My thought is, I would not name my child that/

Answer by louise2 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Forget the meanings the name Ebony White has a nice ring to it; it's the middle name I don't "love"
    Anonymous

• I think it sounds like they are trying too hard for a different name. It also seems a bit juvenile to me, like something a ten year old would plan on naming their future child.. JMO though.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• i'm not a fan, but it's her kid.
    Anonymous

• yeah I think she would get made fun of. That was the one thing I have been super concerned about when coming up with names for my kids. I think of every possible joke kids can come up with, or adults can come up with. I hope she thinks that one through a little bit more
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I totally agree with you. I am wondering the age of your friend. It sounds like something someone very young would come up with.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 2:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Children with multi cultural backgrounds especially white/black children have enough to deal with as for being accepted by peers. That name is going to be like the 'A' worn on Hester Prynn's bodice in The Scarlett Letter. It will draw attention to something that is irrelevant to who she is and who she is capable of becoming.
    Anonymous

• yes, she'll get made fun of- but every child does. there is NO name that can escape it. HOWEVER, I will say that I have personally known a hand full who I believe were intentionally named to torture them. like...

Bruce JR (they called him BJ)

Polly Ester Linwood (OMG- 3rd grade was sooo hard for her!)

Ophelia Tittie (lived around the corner, had her name legally changed in 6th grade to Jennifer)

and a few others... like ME "Abigail Williams" can we say anything new about the salem witch trials that I have not already heard? lol

no, I do not think its the best name choice- and to the person who said "forget what the names mean", well thats the point of a name now isn't it? what it means.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:34 PM on Jan. 2, 2010