If your child has a milk allergy is soy formula just as good as nutramigen?

Ok my daughter has lots of gas that could out do any man. She cries when she lies flat on her back and has the hiccups constantly. She will keep us up all night most nights and she is 2 months old. So I asked my doctor to test her for lactose intolerance because I was the same way as an infant and it turned out I was lactose intolerant. But the doctor says that lactose intolerance is so rare that he wont test her for it. So I decided to change her formulas I tried Gentlease and that helped some so then I went to Nutramigen which she loves and has totally been a different baby.Only problem is the stuff is so expensive and I am on a budget the stuff is double the cost for half the amount of of formula. If this is the only way I will work extra to pay for it but I would rather be at home with her.

Tat_9280

Asked by Tat_9280 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am honestly not sure, but I would read the ingredients of your formulas very carefully. Many of them contain high fructose corn syrup and that could also be upsetting your baby. If you can afford it I would look into the more natural options. There is a reason they say breast feeding is best, that is because we cannot add chemicals and toxins to our breast milk, so please check the labels before you give a formula to your baby!
    jmws2005

Answer by jmws2005 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Oh I cant breastfeed because the only blood pressure meds I can take are not good for baby when I am breastfeeding. I wish everyone would stop giving me a hard time about not breast feeding not everyone can breast feed.
    Tat_9280

Answer by Tat_9280 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Soy formula constipated my daughter bad.. apparently that side effect is fairly common, so if you do change just be sure to be prepared for that possibility.
    eab001

Answer by eab001 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Bless your heart. My son just got off of Nutramigen, though it made such a difference for him. From what I've been told, most babies who have issues with dairy also have issues with soy (my son was one of them!). I sometimes would check craigslist.org and ebay for people selling it and saved some that way. Just be sure that the expiration date is listed, and calculate in the shipping to be sure it is cheaper than getting it at the store! Target and WalMart were always less expensive. Good luck mama!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 4:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• They are completely different. The Nutramigen is a hypoallergenic formula. You could try a soy based formula too but that is for babies who are sensative to the milk based formulas. My daughter did ok on the soy based but oh my goodness does that stuff make some pretty smelly diapers! Sometimes its the iron content that gives them gas problems. Enfamil has a low iron formula you could try. Be sure not to change the formula too soon and move to another to determine the success for your baby. It could cause more tummy trouble. Stay on it for a couple weeks at least before making a change. Have you tried the Malicon drops for gas? Sometimes they can help the gas move or reduce the gas that is causing the pain.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I know Nutramigen is SO expensive. We had to have my son on it for almost 2 years. About made us broke, but he couldn't handle anything else.

I am rather anti-soy, but if you are not try it. If it works for you and you're comfortable with it then that might be good. If it doesn't work as well as Nutramigen, I would somehow make the extra $200 a month.

Personally, I wanted my son on Nutramigen as I didn't trust the soy. I've just heard some bad things about soy. We went broke spending $300 a month, but it was worth his health. Ask your doctor for free samples.

I've HEARD some insurance companies will pay for the Nutramigen with a doctor's prescription. Ours would not pay for it, but I would definitely check that.
    Anonymous

• I will not lecture you on breastfeeding, but would just like to say one thing. Many times, doctors are unsure if you can nurse while taking a particular med. To cover their butts, they just say "no". I would never trust a doctor on this subject, other then Dr. Hale. I'd check with La Leche League, or an IBCLC, or the Lact-Med database, or as I said, Dr. Hale's book. It's rare for a medication to be really dangerous while breastfeeding. Now, you may know these things, and already checked into it on your own, but I wanted to put it out there just in case, or for future reference, or for any other mom who might read this. I'm very sorry I'm unable to offer you advice on the formula situation and hope you're able to work it out.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I did not mean to sound like I was pushing breast feeding. I was just telling you to be careful for the formula you choose because many contain what is considered toxins and the causes of obesity, cancer and other rises in our population. High fructose corn syrup is very bad for infants and is found in your chosen formula. Many of our children's "allergies" are not to the natural ingredients that they are made of "cow's milk, soy, etc." but are allergic to the chemical compositions that they are mixed within. Try organic milk or a mixture of goats milk, they have recipes online, but we just chose to go with the organic formula when my milk supply dried up. I have a 6 month old and cannot nurse anymore, I understand the desire but inability and did not mean to hit a sore point, just trying to offer nutritious alternatives!
    jmws2005

Answer by jmws2005 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Try the equivalent by Good Start. My nephew was on Nutramigen and my sister switched him to Good Start. He does MUCH better and it's a lot cheaper. Good luck! I know how hard it is because my daughter is also allergic to cow's milk protein. She was on the Nutramigen but had to go to see a GI specialist and is now on Neocate, which is $40 a can!!! I was also told by the specialist that if your child is allergic to cow's milk then it's a very good chance that he will be allergic to soy also.
    lovingvabeach

Answer by lovingvabeach at 9:13 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Oh yeah, if your child gets constipated from the switch in formulas, give him 2 oz of water a day until he clears up or 1 oz apple juice added to 1 oz of water. Also have been there, done that.
    lovingvabeach

Answer by lovingvabeach at 9:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2010