Do I HAVE to take my son in for a check-up?

He's 10 months old and I am supposed to schedule an appointment for some time this January for a baby well exam. He's not being vaccinated until he is 3 or 4, I measure and weigh him at home and he is growing normally and gaining weight.. so why would I need to take him to this exam? Is there something I'm missing that is vital that the doctor does?

I have medicaid - will they cause issues with my medicaid or start calling me or send my social worker to my house if I don't take him to wellness exams?? They haven't bothered me about not vaccinating him.

Mainly I just don't want to take him unnecessarily to the doctors office during flu season. He also likes to touch everything and get into everything after he's been somewhere for more than a few minutes and I don't feel like hearing him scream because I won't let him for the ATLEAST an hour wait (last time it was actually 2 hours) in the office.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• unless he shows signs of physical/mental delays, no you do not need to.

i do not vax, nor do we visit the dr but once a year for blood workups, new scripts for an epi pen and eczema cream, and for pink eye drops that I keep on hand (it has gone around EVERY school year at least once), to get them weighed, measured and have vision/hearing checks. thats it.

no, medicaid can NOT jump down your throat for not vaccinating, nor for missed WELL visits which are not required by law. the ONLY time a social worker can get involved is when you refuse necessary medical care for your child. that is it- google your parental rights. know them, enforce them.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I wouldn't take him in if you know he's fine. I wouldn't want my baby getting sick either.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 2:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I actually lost my Medicaid a few months ago because I missed a well checkup. =(
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 3:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I used to have Medicaid and as far as I know, they can't force you to take your baby to the Dr. or get him vaccinated. I no loner vax my kids, and only take them in if they are sick.
    cookiedough100

Answer by cookiedough100 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• if medicaid interferes with your Dr's appointments, you can appeal their decision, and regain your benefits. it is not their decision where and when your child will be seen, and for what. there is a # on the back of the denial form then send, and you can ask for an appeal.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• you don't have to take him, and medicaid won't be a problem. You are only saving tax payers dollars.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I would take them, regardless of vaccinations, because they can catch things. They do a complete physical exam, looking at all body parts. I have a friend whose doctor caught a slight hearing loss in their baby at her well visit after noticing an abnormality in her ear.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• OP)) happy2bmom are you implying I'm not a taxpayer?
    Anonymous

• OP)) whiterose TY for something to think on.
    Anonymous

• You really should take him to see the pediatrician. You are not a doctor, and a doctor can pick up on things that you may have missed.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2010