Does this sound like lactose intolerance?

My baby boy has been spitting up a lot after i feed him. I do eat a lot of dairy products- like a ton...
when he has formula he does fine, it's just with breast milk he gets this way- also when i have less dairy like today he has less problems.
My family has a huge history of lactose intolerance including my bro and my mom. but it didn't show up for them until they were toddlers.

Hali_Taylor

Asked by Hali_Taylor at 2:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be that he is lactose intolerant in his genetic makeup, and that you eat too much dairy. The fact that you eat a lot of dairy could mean that his body is allergic to it, whereas, maybe it wasn't a problem before at all. With formula, he just gets what's in the mix, with breastmilk he gets the nutrients from whatever you eat. I'd advise you take it easy on dairy. Dairy foods can cause gas and constipation if eaten in excess. Hope it helps:)
    cookiedough100

Answer by cookiedough100 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Babies can't truly be lactose intolerant. They may however lack enough of the enzyme needed to digest lactose. Try laying off the lactose and seeing if it helps. However, some babies are just like that and nothing you do seems to help. My daughter was like that...changes in diet didn't help, switching to formula, then soy formula, etc. didn't help...she just spitup a lot until about 8 mo. and then one day it was just over.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 2, 2010