does anyone on here have diabetes type 1?

I have type 1- i was diagnose when i was 16. They told me that my son only had like a 20 percent chance of getting it. It freaks me out and i get so paranoid, I know it can happen this young. Does anyone else on here have type 1 diabetes, did your kids get it too?

Hali_Taylor

Asked by Hali_Taylor at 2:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I too have type one diabetes. I was diagnosed when I was 11 and am now 24 almost 25. I have 2 daughters ages are 4 and 1 1/2 and neither of them have it. I do check a fasting blood sugar on them 1 x a month and its always normal. I would recommend you do the same. It skipped a generation on both my parents side and me and my little bother got it. They generally say that's what happens with type one diabetes that it skips generations. I hope and pray my little ones never get it and that there children never get it but there children are more likely to get it then what my children are. How old is your LO and have you ever checked his BS?
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 3:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My nine yr old son got it when he was just 8 weeks old. It's very overwhelming but over time it becomes much easier to manage as I'm sure you are aware of having had it since you were 16. He has been blessed as far as his glucose levels go, he only has to take one shot a day.

That 20% isn't a big percentage, there's still 80% chance he WON'T get it. My son's grandmother had it. And his brother didn't get it either. So chances are good your son probably won't either.

If you need any support please PM me. It's so scary but is something one can work through when our children become ill or we worry about something such as this happening to them.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:18 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• AProsser-

No i haven't checked his BS. he's only 4 months old. maybe i should start- can i just check on a regular meter? and can i ask how you managed to have 2??? lol i don't want to sound rude it's just my pregnancy was a nightmare, was it worse the second time around?

and Cinder-

your so brave to raise a baby with diabetes. it must have been so scary. I hope he takes good care of himself.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 3:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Lol. Oh your not being rude and feel free to ask anything you want. But yes you can use your meter to check his blood sugar. Of course use a new lancet and put the poker on the lowest setting. I always prick my youngest dd big toe because it doesnt seem to hurt her much and its just simply easier to do it seems. Like you though my first pregnancy was a bit on the crazy side with my blood sugars. But I think it was only hard to control them because my Doc took me off my Novalog because it wasnt pregnancy approved and put me on... I cant remember the name but it was much slower acting then the Novalog and I found it harder to control my BS being on that insulin. Oh it was called Humalin R. Lol. I used that with both pregnancys. So my BS did run a little on the higher side untill I had it about 34 weeks with both pregnancys and then they started bottoming out on me which alarmed my doctor because constant low BS.. Cont.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 3:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• at the end of your pregnancies meant the placenta was becoming thinner and the baby was loosing the proper nutrients. So like you I was induced at 37 weeks after having an amino done and over all had two healthy babies. Both did need a little extra care in the NICU. They needed extra oxygen and sugar water thru an IV oh and both had jaundice. But other then that they were healthy. I would say my second preg. was easier then my first. I didn't have high blood sugars that often and when I say high I mean nothing higher then 250. Ive found out though that the key to a healthy pregnancy with diabetes is pre planning the pregnancy and allowing yourself a year of a perfect a1c for a year, healthy diet, proper exercise, and the insulin pump. Thats what my doc said anyways if I do choose to have more kids. How old are you? Hows your blood sugars over all? And have you had any complications because of the diabetes? If you dont mind.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 3:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• no complications, I'm almost 20. Um... I have really bad A1C right now because i don't like taking care of myself. I wanted the pump but medicaid wouldn't cover it. I might have to wait until we can afford a pump. and i really do need to take better care of myself.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 5:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Yep you got it... You diff. gotta work on taking better care of yourself. Diabetes is one of those things that when not taking care of your self early on and having high a1c for years years you dont notice any complications until its to late. Im sure as you know constant high blood sugars will result in nerve damage, damage to your organs, kidney failure, amputation to your toes and legs and the list goes on and on. Ive had it for almost 15 years now and over all have taken pretty good care of myself but yet Im still getting the early signs of diabetic neuropathy. Its one of those things that kinda happen over time with having diabetes for as long as I have. Its very painful and annoying and mostly effects my feet and hands and it scares me. Im to young to have to deal with it and sometimes think if I had tighter control over my BS then this wouldn't have happened. I ck my BS 10 times a day and use a sliding scale...
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 5:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• for my insulin and try to eat properly. So far so good. Sorry I keep rambling. Lol. But not trying to scare you but the results of not taking care of yourself is not pretty and will catch up to you. Do you ck your blood sugars often? What kinda insulin do you take? It diff. takes work but making a habit of it makes it easier and just a part of life. Was it your BS that made your pregnancy crazy? Lol. Sorry for all my questions I just dont know anybody else thats young with diabetes like myself to relate to besides my brother who is 23 and he doesnt take care of him self at all.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 5:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• ya my blood sugars where out of control towards the end no matter what i did. i also had a problem with drinking that made it really bad before i got pregnant. I need to re-educate myself because i forget a lot. I think I'm gonna get a couple books on how to take care of myself and start going to my doc again.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 8:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My little brother has type 1. He has had it since age 14. He is now 36. He has two daughters that are 4 and 9...so far so good.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 8:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2010