Church: What would you do?

I wanted to ask this to get other people opinions. Please no bashing.

I've not been to church in a long while, my son is 5 years old we once attended a church in a few towns over, they picked us up. We now have a car.

I still don't have the clothes other then jeans, 1 pair of slacks-1 pair of flats- tennis shoes. Im a single Mom,so my focus is more on my son clothes wise.

When I went before, I see kids dress like Idid, even members kids. But I bet I was the only one in jeans and my friend from the church, said,"We don't care about what you wear...it is the fact you are attending the church to hear the word of our lord sweety."

ME being self conscious just never went back, for lack of dresses,shirts, nicer shoes.

Question is: Would you go and not worry being you are there to congregate with other christains, who cares about your clothes?

OR: Save up til you can buy a few nice outfits and look 'decent'?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not christian/catholic, but i was raised catholic. I use to go to church as a teen in jeans and tshirts/sweaters. I don't think God cares what you wear, it's just that you are there in the church with others for fellowship and prayer. In my opinion, if someone is going to make snide remarks about what you wear or what your son is wearing, they aren't being very christ like.

I would sit with your friend from church. It will make you feel more comfortable I think to know that she is there for you in case some one does say something. But I honestly don't think anyone will care.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I am Catholic I go to church in jeans, nice t-shirts and tennis shoes. flip flops during the summer. I am dressed up compared to some but very undressed compared to others. There are some in fancy jewelry, high heels, skirts and blouses. We come as we feel comfortable.

Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 3:18 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• to answer your question i would go now in what is my best clothing a pair of jeans. If I felt too bad about it I would go to the thrift store and get a pair of slacks and a nice shirt wear them with your flats.

When my son made his confirmation he needed (more of wanted) a suit. I knew he would never wear it again before he grew. I got him a suit for $20 my parents went on and on about how great it was I decided to buy him a proper suit. I made sure (in the church) to inform them of my good buy :) they were less than pleased lol

There were boys confirmed in a shirt and tie. The suit was just something some of the boys wanted.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 3:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Who cares about the nice clothes? It is the person you are on the inside that counts. If you are really self concious, I do some sewing. If I have a pattern in your size, I MIGHT be able to make something. I even have a TON of material that I have on hand already. I could do some skirts or maybe a jumper. (Pants are a little too advanced for me at this time.) The only thing I would ask is that you not be too picky because I'm still learning. But hey, it could spruce up your wardrobe.
    I typically wear the simple jumpers that I have made. Every keeps asking me where I bought them. (That or the ELABORATE dresses my MIL does for me every once in a while. Talk about a TRUE seamstress!)
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 3:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Thanks CinderAmethyst and Kattykitten!! I don't want to go to church looking like MADEA in a dress! LOL

I want my son to attend now that he is in Kindergarten and he has his own childrens bible we read and other books on Jesus, I just think he will benefit more attending sunday school.

He is out of town til tomorrow, so I will have to phone up my friend, which will surprise her being its been MONTHS since we went. Its a nice baptist church, I was raised methodist, but went to christain churches off and on thru the years.

Being a single Mom is not always easy and as I said, his needs come before mine.

I appreciate the answers so far! THANK YOU!
    Anonymous

• Oh, I almost forgot. You can search around for freecycle groups. People who are just giving things away. You might be able to find some really nice clothes that way. Who cares about how you get them as long as it covers what it needs to?
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 3:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• The lady was right, it doesn't matter what you wear. If you were to be judged on your appearence at church , you may want to look for another church.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 3:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Sounds to me like you already dress the best you personally can.

JES (jw) xxx
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 3:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Id dress in what I had and go even if I felt self-conscious about it.

If I want to be part of a congregation and learn and study that way then I wouldnt let my lack of a dress get in my way. And, while attending Id save up a get a cute dress from Goodwill or some other budget-friendly store.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I understand how you feel but I would go.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2010