Is this considered cry it out?

let me say now i only do this if he won't be soothed.
I make sure everything is fine with him and then I put him in his crib and let him cry for 5 to 10 minutes depending on my stress level.
If he's still crying at the 10 minute marker i pick him up and let him scream in my arms until he falls asleep.
I'm just wondering what this method is since i do use soothing techniques and I don't let him cry all night.

Hali_Taylor

Asked by Hali_Taylor at 3:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is he?
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• 4 months
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 3:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• i think with CIO you gradually lengthen the amount of time you wait to go in there and you don't just do it once or twice. the point is for them to learn how to put themselves back to sleep
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• *or to sleep for that matter
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• get a swing
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I use the swing. he gets sick of it after a while though.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 3:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• It is better for a baby that young to cry in arms than to leave them alone. A sling/wrap/meitai carrier is a life saver. The baby gets to be held and carried around and you can go about your business. Babies are often helped by the familiar swaying motion, warmth, smell, and activity of being slinged.

Though if you feel a red signal type of stress level, puting the baby down so you can cool off is a good idea.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I think letting him cry for 5-10 minutes and then going in and picking him up is only teaching him that if he cries long enough you will come back, not helping him learn to sleep.
    Anonymous

• Ditto what ALG said. :-)
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 4:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• You could also try music, or singing to him as you pat his back. or humming! until he falls a sleep. Even a binky/ He may not be hungry but just needs a binky to suck on until he falls a sleep. Swings are great! put him in a swing in the living room with you. OH you have to get him a rain forest thingy. OMG its the best in the world!! RAINFOREST CRIB TOY, NOT THE MOBILE.. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2455073 toys r us has them, tagrget and I think walmart even has them. This little boy I took care of for a while, I spoiled him with ours. Everytime I turned it on he laid down. Or when I would ask him are you ready to go lay down he would go get the rainforest thingy. I wish you the best with your little one.

4thLuvofChildrn

Answer by 4thLuvofChildrn at 4:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2010