Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do I do about drug using parents?

I have a couple I am aquainted with that have a child. The child is no older than 1 and the parents smoke pot and snort coke and drink all the time. I don't know the couples last name because like I said I am only aquainted and I only know the father of the child. What can I do? Is is my place to try to do anything?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • I think that you should report this now. Even if you were friends with these ppl, your first responsibility is the child. You never know what could happen to this poor child, and I think it is wonderful that you care enough to ask b/c a lot of ppl just look the other way.

    Answer by lynenedubbels at 2:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

  • You can call CPS anonymously. It doesn't matter if they're your friends or relatives. As an adult, it's your responsibility to report it if you know it's happening.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

  • Also, too many people let horrible things happen to children because they feel reporting such a thing "isn't their place." As citizens, it is our duty to protect innocent children.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

  • Are they doing it infront of the baby? Is the baby neglected in any way? Are they sober when the baby is awake/around? Is the smoke from the pot getting into the baby's lungs? Do they leave it where the baby can get at it?

    There are a lot of things to consider. Basically, is the child in danger? If you think "yes" then call the police or CPS. If the child isn't in any danger then it's really up to you. Pot and coke are illegal and therefore shouldn't be done. But is it really worth reporting them? I don't know. Only you can answer that.

    No matter what though, if the child is in any danger then it is your moral responsibility to try and help them.

    Answer by amethystrse at 2:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

  • The world is a dangerous place, not because of those that DO evil, but because of those who STAND BY AND DO NOTHING!!!
    Report them now!!!

    Answer by vbruno at 3:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

  • get authorities or child services involved

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

  • you shoud report this and fast, police and or child protective services.

    Answer by koolmom343 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.