Question about breast feeding?

ok when u went in to have your c section why u was in recovery how did your baby eat if you was breast feeding cause i heard u do not need to give your baby a bottle then breastfeed cause it will confuse the baby? I go in for a sceduled c section Tuesday and do i tell the nurse and doctor that im nursing so they will not give the baby a bottle or what ? I dont want my baby to starve either? can anyone help me out? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes - tell them you want to breastfeed. But you won't be away from your baby for that long, if it's anything like my csection - and his Dad was with him the whole time. I fed him like 1/2 hour after delivery in the recovery room. I lost so much blood that my milk was late in coming in and we had to use a supplementer supplied by the lactation consultant because he was hungry the next day. Even if they did give him a bottle one time, it probably wouldn't make a difference because they generally aren't that hungry right after delivery. If you have any problems, ask to speak to a lactation consultant and if she doesn't help - ask again the next shift, someone different will be on and some lc's are MUCH better than others!

Answer by missanc at 4:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• baby will be fine even if not fed within 24 hours of birth. you can request (demand) no bottles, and make sure that you contact the hospitals lactation consultant and ask for assistance immediately flowing delivery. it also helps if you can meet in person or talk on the phone to ask any questions you have.

immediately following delivery you will feel weak, and you will want help positioning the baby, and getting it latched. the baby does NOT need to be given a bottle, and will be FINE as long as it feeds within the first 24 hours.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I had no problem nursing my baby about 20 min. after my c-section, and mine wasn't scheduled. My DD never had a bottle in the hospital. You will be producing colostrum and thats all your baby needs. There are many different schools of thought on nipple confusion. I was worried about it so I put off giving my DD a bottle, turned out when I couldn't be with her she wouldn't take a bottle, she just wouldn't eat....but every baby is different. You shouldn't have any problem bf after a c-section. Ask your doc if your hospital has an LC, most have one now.GL

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• you will probably want to call the hospital and talk to the head of the l&d unit. some hospitals are "good" about things and others are "bad". my friend had a c-section, and while she was getting sewn up, the baby was with her daddy, skin-to-skin. then she nursed the baby when she was out of surgery. gl!
    Anonymous

• Hey ..I also want to add that you can call L&D and set up a tour of the maternity ward, maybe set up a face to face with the LC.. at least at my hospital you could.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• When I delivered c-section, I had no intention of breast feeding, having already failed it with my first. HOWEVER, the hospital had other plans. They brought me my son after I was out of recovery and said, "He's hungry. Feed him." So I guess he was fine for that hour in recovery.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• A baby does not have to eat for the first three days so there should be no reason why the nurses can't wait until your fully awake to try to nurse the baby.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 8:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2010