Need sick baby advice.. coughing, snotty, etc??

My 5 month old is coughing, has boogers in her eyes and badly in her nose. The doctor said it was a cold (not 100% sure if I believe that since it was a quick brush you off visit) but regardless, they said to just give it 10 days; I don't want my daughter suffering for 10 days.. does anybody have any advice of things that might help her??

As it is now they just have us using the ball syringe and saline.

Thanks so much!!

eab001

Asked by eab001 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• suction, irrigate, suction!!! you're on the right track.
    take her into the bathroom, shut the door and run the shower as hot as it will go for 10 minutes- breathing the steam will help loosen everything up, and soothe her lungs/throat. do this before suctioning, or any time the cough kicks up.
    take warm water and cotton balls and keep her eyes clean, wiping from the duct out. she'll feel a lot better.
    little noses makes a decongestant that comes in drop form (kind of like saline spray), you can use 1 drop in each nostril to help the mucous- still keep using they syringe.
    if her tummy is upset from the mucous, you can brew chamomile tea- it is safe and will help soothe the yucky tummy.
    unfortunately there is not a lot you can do to help the common cold (which is what that sounds like), and after having had 3 babies of my own, i am a firm believer in the bulb syringe- use it, and chap stick on her nose, berts bees is awesome!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• 10 days?! wow never heard that one before. any fever?
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• 99, so just a slight one. Yeah they said give it 7-10 days for her to get over it.. it just seems so long, I wouldn't wanna be sick that long!
    eab001

Answer by eab001 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• turn the shower on & shut the door so it gets good and steamy in there then sit down in the bathroom with her- the steam will easy congestion lots of love and cuddles too! hope she gets better soon you feel so helpless when they are sick
    RippledBegonias

Answer by RippledBegonias at 3:29 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• my 7 month old daughter just got over the same exact thing. and i agree 100 percent with obbydobbie. those are the exact steps i took. and she is well and on her way to being a big happy girl
    :)
    liltexchick

Answer by liltexchick at 3:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Sleeping on an incline will also help with drainage at night. Put a pillow UNDER one side of the crib mattress and put her head on that side (or let her sleep in a bouncer, swing, anything with an incline). Johnson and Johnson also makes a good vapor bath...if you do the steamy bathroom in combination with the Johnson's Vapor bath before bed it'll help a lot.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2010