Would you give your child a toy your neighbor found while dumpster diving?

The toy has been cleaned and sanitized for the sake of this question BTW.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sure why not??? I'm not that much of a germ-a-phobe that I wouldn't give my kid something out of a dumpster. If it's sitting on top of the can, and nothing really nasty has settled onto it, most definitely. Clean it up as you did, and give it to the kids.

One mans junk is another mans treasure, eh? LOL
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I would clean it before giving it to the child. But yes, depending on what it is I would. People are wasteful and throw away perfectly good bikes and toys all the time. I wouldn't keep a stuffed animal or anything that couldn't be sanitized, but if it was in good condition and I could clean it, why not?

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 3:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• No....I don't care how clean it is....I can afford to buy my kids toys I don't need ones that have been inside a dumpster with God knows what else...and rats...yuuuuuck
    Anonymous

• That would be a huge HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    cherrera5

Answer by cherrera5 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Cleaned & sanitized , yes I would. Dh once found a truckload of little tykes ride-ons in the dumpster at work, we used them for years & sold them at my yard sale.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 3:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Sure I would, saves money, and makes you wonder why people don't donate the things they don't want anymore!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Not a stuffed animal or fabric toy. A plastic toy that could be sanitized with bleach, then... probably.

Answer by Bmat at 3:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• No,I would not. I say that right now. My dh finds stuff like caps and wants me to wash them he wants to wear them.
    I don't know why but it gives me the creeps.
    I guess I just look at them as though they have lice.
    Anonymous

• "No,I would not. I say that right now. My dh finds stuff like caps and wants me to wash them he wants to wear them.
    I guess I just look at them as though they have lice."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This made me laugh because I thought that my SO was the only one that does this!!
    donzgurl

Answer by donzgurl at 3:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Yeah as long as it can be cleaned/sanatized. The way I see it even off the shelf you never know what germs might be on there just because you pay for it doesn't mean its clean!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2010