Pork?

Do you really feel that anything would be accomplished without it? Looked at from one aspect - the members of Congress who get their pork into legislation may seem revolting and shameless to us unless we are actually one of their constituants. Then, it might seem as though Rep ABC or Sen XYZ is really looking out for us and our state up there in DC.

Thoughts?

LiliM

Asked by LiliM at 3:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Pork & Beans = Yum-O

Have yourself some good ol' fashioned Pork & Beans. You won't regret it.

Oh and don't forget to mix in some brown sugar and a bit o' ketchup.
    Anonymous

• Beans beans, the special fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot. The more you toot, the better you feel, so eat your beans with every meal! We can't have beans without pork, that would just be un-American!
    Anonymous

• Yes, I do think we could get plenty done without it. It is called integrity. I don't think that all the pork projects help the country as a whole. They only help pockets of specialized groups in limited regions of states. It is the view that the government has unlimited funds. The government doesn't actually have any money. The government gets its money from you and me. How does a medical wing at a college in CA help me in NC? I already have Duke Medical Center in Durham, NC. How does Nebraska not having to pay its portion of Medicare forever help any of us? There shouldn't be any pork ever - period.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Pork is inherently unfair and frequently used to buy votes.  It goes to politicians who are concerned only about their issues, and frequently, their own pocket books.  States without clout do without. 

When the mafia gives a government official money to get certain things done, it's bribery and it's illegal.  Pork is legalize bribery, IMO. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Pork, it's what's for dinner

Pork, the Other white meat

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I disagree. Many of the things funded with these "paybacks" are things that should be funded by the state it benefits.

Additionally, there should never be anything added to a budget except necessities when the country is in debt...that is DEBT not deficit.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Thanks to those who let everyone know what is for dinner.

Ok, so you all seem to think that things could get done? I haven't seen it.

Although I agree that when we are in debt the extras should go. Jesse, Duke Medical has been in the top ten of recipients of federal funding from NIH for a number of years. Those dollars are dollars that cannot be used in my state for infrastructure rebuilding. While the potential research could benefit me, at this point, it does not. I do agree that the Nebraska Medicare deal is outrageous.

But if the NIH trimmed that money from their budget, would you be screaming? I would bet your reps would be at the bargaining table. Not picking , just using the example you provided.

Mancos, I agree with you. It's legalized bribery. Thankfully, Stevens is finally answering for it.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 4:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2010