transition to toddler bed?

at what age did you or plan to switch to a toddler or full size bed? my munchkin (18 months) is ALL over her crib when she sleeps... how was the transition for you and your LO? i've also heard of people just using a mattress on the floor...

ariel08

Asked by ariel08 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we used a regular toddler bed with extra mattress on the floor at first. my oldest moved out of his crib at 14 months my second was at 1yr and my daughter was at 16 months. the first week was the hardest had to keep putting them back into bed till the fell asleep. my boys got moved to a bunk bed at ages 4 and 6. my daughter is still in her toddler bed and some nights she climbs out to sleep in her bean bag or the floor. just be sure to use a safety gate in the door way or one of those child proof door knob covers on the inside of the childs door. dont want him gettin up in the middle of the night and wondering the house. as long as the child is rolling around too much then its fine. if they are then just a mattress is all you should use, toddler beds can be dangerous, a leg could get caught in the rails and they fall out of bed and break something also more chances of head injuries. only you can decide if your child isready
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• my daughter is 22mo and just moved to a toddler bed...........we decided it was time because she was climbing out of the crib!! she gets up alot and we just bought a rail to put up so she does not roll out. ( she kept falling out of bed!) we are still in the process of her getting settled in to sleep in the bed. ( she gets up in the night and sleeps with her sis. ) i defjinatly recomend using a gate across the door and a monitor to hear her if she gets up. and once you start dont look back! it will only make it worse if you do.

tina
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 7:23 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• We got our daughter a toddler bed just after she turned 16 months. She wasn't climbing out of the crib or anything. We had moved our changing pad from the table to the floor and she would pretend it was a bed. She loved it. We just felt it was time. She's been in the bed for almost 2 months now. She still loves it and you can tell she's proud of herself. She's gotten out of bed a couple times in the night but she slams her door open when she leaves the room so we wake right up haha. We do have some problems with naps during the day but she's always had nap issues. Keep me updated with how it goes if you decide to try it!
    CoppieCat

Answer by CoppieCat at 4:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2010