22 month old

my 22 month old dughter dose not speek much she can speek but she dosent.
what can i do?
dose she have speak problims?
is thire anything i can do?

crazymommy21

Asked by crazymommy21 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she probably just doesn't want to talk, but if your concerned talk to her doctor about it
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• my daughter just turned 2 dec 21st and she has been in speech therapy since july. i went to the local school district (ESU) they have intervention programs for kids up to age 3 and no cost. i dont like my sppech therapist too well but by in the program she gets to go to special needs preschool next year. our ST sets weekly and monthly goals. the thing that works with gettin my daughter to talk is to have her ask for food and drinks at snack time example i give her 2 pieces of friut snacks and a 1/4 cup of juice so it doesnt last very long then when its gone and wants more she has to either sign or say the words, if she pionts or says "that" or "eh" i play dumb and say what? i dont know what you want you have to tell me.. and refrain from yes and no questions make her say/sign exectly what she wants.

here is a site of basic signs
    http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-layout/concepts.htm
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• and i would go to the school b4 going to the dr in my experience the drs blow it off as the child isnt ready yet, and if you do go to the dr dont take no for an answer demand a referral for intervention. dont wait. the sooner you get your child in therapy the sooner she will get caught up to her peers. and try setting goals on your own like you want her to say 5 words at x number of occasions. playing games helps and if you have older kids recruit them in teaching her words. my daughter copies everything my 2nd child says and does but the problem there is he is also speeched delayed. i didnt get him into services until he was 3 and half BIG mistake cause he is really far behind his peers when it comes to communication.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• and also you may want to have a hearing test done again. my oldest was delayed cause of tone deafness if you have any questions fell free to message me ill try my best to answer
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2010