Need help! Red polka dots on a pretty new dress bled into the surrounding white areas.

I bought my daughter a pretty new dress. It is white with black and red polka dots. It has red trim. 97% cotton, the other 3% spandex for the liner.
She tried it on and went over to her lesson board that we were working on and accidentally painted a stripe of dry erase marker on it.
I tried to get it out and I was using rubbing alcohol, and polish remover. (It was awful, but it finally came out.) Then I looked down and... the red dots had bled into the white areas. Now a bad situation worse. I soaked it in oxyclean... it didn't work, I laundered it twice in cold water.. no help. It hasn't dried yet. Anyone have any ideas???

zweedledee

Asked by zweedledee at 4:29 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Return it to the store.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• No way to fix that
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 9:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• Take it to a cleaners and ask them. There are good spot removers on the market but ask a professional cleaner to find the right one.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• One last attempt before you go running all over town to cleaners...

Take the Oxyclean and an old toothbrush.

Make a thick paste with the Oxyclean and put it around the edge of the dots; where it's bled onto the white...leave it there 5-10 mins (too long could start to damage the fabric) - the take the toothbrush and brush from the white back into the red; and hopefully the bristles will help get in between the fibers and pull it back out.

I've been able to get long since stained washed and restained grease out of my SO's pants scrubbing with a big scrub brush and oxyclean; so you never know; can't hurt to try right?
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2010