How old should kids be to be able to wear makeup?

My daughter just turned 11 and wants to wear makeup but I don't allow it out of the house. I'm just wondering at what age this would be appropriate and what other privalges I may be able to offer her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• maybe you could let her wear like lip gloss and sparkly eye shadows but tell her she cant wear all the make-up until she reaches about 8th grade..or you can wait til shes a freshman in high school. if anything she probably will put it on at school and then b4 school is out go wash her face. i did that and my mom would know bcuz i could never get the eye liner off or i would forget i put it on. but when i reached the 8th grade my mom decided it was okay.
    Anonymous

• I'm old fashioned but I don't think kids need make up for tons of reasons. I know they want it so to compromise I plan to start slow. A little lip gloss with maybe a pink base and clear or very light nail polish between 8-10 and then gradually add on with more color, lightly like pink polish or flesh toned lip gloss for special occasions at about 12 or so, at about 14 for dances or pictures or something I would teach my daughter how to be subtle with mascara, the clear kind and how to use an eyelash curler, take her to get her nails done, french tip, again staying away from too much extra and hopefully by the time shes 16 she will have learned how to enhance her own beauty with accents rather than cake on globs of make up like every other teenager with bad skin. I'm the same with piercings and big earrings. Not cool these days but I think girls need to be ladies and kids should be individuals more than anything else.
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 4:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• my sd is 12 and she knows she cant have makeup..i personally think that they should be older before they start to wear it..maybe a lil lip gloss or something not to flashy...but it always depends on your personal preference..i plan on giving her makeup before she starts high school since she does not have acne and has nice skin...
    Anonymous

• I think 9th grade is a good time to start wearing makeup. Take her to a beauty counter and have them show her how to put it on so it looks proper and natural.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I'm sorry,but 8th grade is way to late. This is not the 1950's! Gees! I will allow my dd to wear makeup when she 12.
    She now almost 10 and she has some lip gloss and some glitter eye shadow that she can play with. It is all put away and she must ask to use it except for the gloss. GL
    Anonymous

• You all remind me of the parents in the 50's telling the girls to wipe that stuff off their face and called girls who wear make-up whores~Lol!
    It's just make up not a string bikini or a pair of heals and a teddy!
    Anonymous

• Anon3:58 What difference does it make wither your sd has clear skin or not? That is a little harsh.
    Anonymous

• My DD is 9 and she is only permitted to wear lip gloss. On very special occassions (like weddings or big events), I allow her to use sparkly eye shadow but no mascara. I plan to allow her to wear makeup when she gets to 7th or 8th grade. Right now, she is content with this becasue I do not make a big deal out of it all. I always remind her that she is so beautiful she doesn' need the enhancements.
    sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 3:59 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• wow anon 8:17.where do you get off thinkin i was being harsh? I said nothing wrong I just said that she did not have acne and has nice skin..I was not being ugly to anyone..my sd does have clear nice skin and i think she does fine without makeup..she has no use for it...when i was in the 8th grade i did have acne and used it to help cover up blemishes...if she does not have blemishes to cover why use it???
    Anonymous

• I have 10 year olds and 12 year olds, and they wear makeup out of the house. I only allow eyeliner, lipstick, blush, and eyeshadow to school. I started wearing makeup in 4th grade.
    NatiMarti

Answer by NatiMarti at 3:01 AM on Feb. 10, 2010