how does your water break? Sry if this is a dumb question?

i was just wondering how a water breaks? Like does the baby make a certain movement or scratch the sac? Im just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Water break during pregnancy is formally called amniorrhea in medical science. When the fetus is in the wombit is enveloped by a thin tunica, which is called fetal membrane. The liquid in it is amniotic fluid, usually called as water.

When a pregnant woman is at parturient time, she will face uterine contractions, which press the amniotic fluid in the fetal membrane to the ostium of uterus, making it widening. During this procedure, the membrane is also expanding until it breaks to let the amniotic fluid flow out from the vagina. Normally, the amniorrhea occurs when the ostium of uterus fully opens.

I copied this from this site if you'd like to read more: http://www.helium.com/items/1136604-water-break-pregnancy

Please remember that there is no such thing as a stupid question, unless it goes unasked. :-) Hope this helps!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 5:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Mine broke well into my labor, I had been in the hospital for a few hours. From what I've heard its not like in the movies where you are somewhere minding your business or eating lunch and whoosh although maybe for some it is. A few friends of mine had their water broken by the nurse or Dr. well into labor as well. It was weird though, you would think a big rush of water and a light bulb goes oh that's my water but for a second I did think oh what was that.
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 5:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• It can happen like that (above)~ from the contractions, or some believe from baby scratching or a weak spot in the sac. Rarely, it happens well before a mom is laboring, sometimes it happens early, middle, late in labor, or never at all. (A baby can be born in the sac, intact.)
    There are low ruptures (more of a gush, sometimes sporadic as baby's head acts like a cork)), there are high leaks (might be more of a consistent trickle), and a tear through just one layer (maybe one gush and then done).   
    A tear can reseal in pregnancy, so breaking of water doesn't always mean that labor is inevitable.    And sometimes the water can break without labor starting (no contractions), as well.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• my last 2 pregnancies 2 weeks before the due date, my water broke one when I was sleeping, I just felt wet, put a napkin and went to the hospital, the last time I was cleaning and the same thing happened again, I guess is just time, the contractions came like 2 hours after that...the baby several hours after the water broke.
    mariposabell

Answer by mariposabell at 8:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2010