Baby food... what to start first??

We are approaching the age of starting my daughter on baby food and I was just wondering what to start first, the general order of foods, etc.

I know there are a lot of studies and opinions out there and I'm just curious.

Also, I've read to skip the basic cereal and oatmeal and go straight to baby food??

Thanks!

eab001

Asked by eab001 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always started with cereal, because I found it easiest - my kids never had any problem with constipation due to cereal and they needed the extra iron it provides (I have chronically low iron, as did my kids when they were checked at 9 months - my dr said to keep them on the cereal at least once/day).
    You don't have to start with veggies - that's an old wives tale that they won't eat veggies if they have fruits first. Babies develop different taste buds just as adults like different things (all 4 of my kids went through basically the same foods in the same order - 1 of them loves fruit and hates veggies, 1 loves veggies and hates fruits, 1 loves fruits and veggies, and 1 dislikes both!)
    It's whatever you are comfortable with - your choice, just make sure you introduce each one at a time to watch for allergies.

Answer by missanc at 7:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• always start with veggies never fruits other wise they wont eat the veggies and im sure you will get a list or two of foods to make at home..
    Anonymous

• I heard about not starting with fruit because then they won't like veggies but my son had his own preferences and he was greedy so he ate fruit to veggie with no problem. He knew what he liked, no rice cereal but he liked the oatmeal with mashed bananas later on. He never went to applesauce so we started with prunes and apples, he loved them, that and peas for a long time. I tried spinach, carrots, plain prunes and it was no go.

She will tell you what she likes and when she is ready to move on I believe. It seemed like by the time I got comfy with the baby food he was over it and wanted what we were eating so I was mushing up and cutting down table food. The toast cut into cubs went over pretty well with him also.
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 4:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• squash or butternut squash are good to start with it seems to be the most filling then sweet potatoes sweet peas then try fruits once in awhile my son seems to go back and forth no problem but never know
    Anonymous

• Start with an iron fortified infant cereal. A child needs the iron for their brain development. It is the most important ingredient. Then add vegetables first. Talk to your pediatrician or family doctor to determine when to start the cereal. Do not skip the infant cereal. It is gentle on their digestive system and they NEED that iron.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 5:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• you can google what lifes-a-dance said, and I believe you will find info to the contrary, but you be the judge. grain is one of the hardest things to digest, and Iron constipates. bad combo, plus the iron found in veggies is more easily recognized and absorbed because it has not been processed by man. Avocado, Sweet Potato, Banana, Hard Squash, Mango, Blueberry, Carrot, Zucchini, Asparagus... all VERY easy to digest, with high nutritional value, and have the least occurrences of adverse reaction (when child is over 6 months- the longer you wait, the fewer reactions, none of mine had food until they were at least 8 months). no need to buy jarred food, make your own, its easier, cheaper, and you control what your baby eats. things like apples provoke stomach acidity and can contribute to acid reflux... try this site for some great ideas recipes...

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Ditto the previous poster. Also a good site to look into for feeding baby real food is:   http://www.babyledweaning.com/

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I'd advise somewhere after 6 months, to start with some steamed or baked fruits or veggies. Once they're cooked and soft, you can puree, mash with fork, or cut into small pieces to finger feed, depending on age. DS's first food was pureed zucchini. Other good foods to start with are banana, avocado, sweet potato, really, the sky is the limit. NO honey before age 1, some say age 2, and wheat is something to avoid until around 1 because it can be an allergen. Eggs, I believe you introduce yolks first, then whites later on (I'm pretty sure, though it might be the other way around).  Also, depending on age, yogurt can be good to introduce, but not until at least 9ish months I think.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. Two great books / websites, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• avacado mixed w/ breastmilk is a perfect first food. don't rush into solids. 6 to 9mo is best
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Jan. 3, 2010