My bank charged me 4 overdraft fees when I did NOT overdraft. Now, all my checks are bouncing!!!

Our bank has been closed since Wednesday, they are never open on Saturdays.

Today I stopped at a Mac Machine and put $400 in. When I got the balance slip it said I have -$76 in my account. So I came home and pulled up my online banking... According to them there was $164 in the account on 12/28 I used a Mac Machine and it cost $2. The next 4 items on the account are all overdrafts at $36 each. On 12/29 I had a change for $14.95 and one for $6.01 go through... The one for $6.01 bounced and they changed me an additional $36. Then on the 30th I had another charge that bounced and 5 on the 31st.

But if they hadn't charged me overdraft fees when I didn't overdraft I wouldn't have bounced ANYTHING...

What do I do?? There isn't anyone there til Monday and I don't have a car til at least Monday late - after they close... Should I call them and fight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would call them. If it can't be corrected over the phone take a cab to the bank on monday.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 5:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I agree justluvinmyson. If they're open by phone now call them to get this understood better. You wouldn't happen to bank in NJ would you? What you're going thru sounds like a bank in NJ.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 5:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I know, they do this all the time. I know that one of the banks has a class action lawsuit against them because of something like this.

I used to have that happen and now my Dh and I are now to the point where we pay for everything either by money order or cash. We have checks, but its very rare that we use them.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 5:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I had this happen once and i got the fees reimbursed, their computer showed that i had items pending so when i withdrew money it charged me a bounced fee because the computer assumed i was overdrafted ( i was only overdrafted because the computer added the fees) the amount shown as pending was actually when i got gas and it held more than i actually spent, some places will get a approval for say $75 to make sure you have money then they process your actual charges but the hold on the $75 stays for a few days.

You can call and have your online statement up while you talk to them and have them look it over and walk them through the mistake, i made my bank reverse the charges, i was told it is a glitch in the computer system and i told them to fix it or i would change banks, i havent had it happen since.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• This wouldn't happen to be Chase bank would it? They're notorious for this shit. You should be able to resolve it over the phone. Make sure you have your records and receipts with you for reconciliation. Hopefully, you won't have to make a personal visit. However, do what you gotta do to get this rectified.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 5:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Can they do that? I mean if they didn't charge the over draft fees you would not have gone over your balance. I would not only go up there ASAP or at least call them, I would change banks.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Legally, banks must be opened five days in a week. Call the bank.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Call the Bank Manager, they will straighten it out for you.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 11:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Maybe it is a credit union as opposed to a bank. Credit Unions do not follow the same guidelines as to how many days a week they have to be open. Ours is always closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.
    ThatTXMom

Answer by ThatTXMom at 12:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• this sounds like bullshit from wells fargo swithch immediatly they stole of 2k from my friend and it was unaccounted for they are ridiculous they've done it to me as well I hate them!
    Anonymous