What do you think about this...please help!

My son is 6 and a half months old. He has been sick with a cold for about two weeks now. No fever, just stuffy/runny nose, bad cough, and he hasn't been eating quite as much. We took his respiritory rate and it's 45, for his age, it should be 35, so it's a little high...and his pulse is somewhere between 100 and 120 and it should be somwhere between 140 and 170. There aren't any appointments available at our urgent care. What do you think I should do?

michellelee3708

Asked by michellelee3708 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That urgent care place should be put out of business! How dare they try to make people make an appointment for urgency?! Sorry, I'm angry for you, this is just scary! Have you already tried using a vaporizer and vicks babyrub to help open his airways? He may have allergies. Depending on where you live, there could be all kinds of crap in the air. We just came back from OK and our girls are still coughing from all the cedar that was in the air. Try using a nasal spray for children that is for allergies and congestion. That worked on my 7 month old. If his mucus is clear, it's allergies. If it's any other color, that could possibly be an infection or cold. The thing that sucks is that milk is the worst thing for congestion, and babies need to drink formula or breastmilk every day. I would also try and see if there is another urgent care or emergency room by you. I hope your little man gets to feeling better! Good luck!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 5:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I have menthol baby wash, i make a bubble bath with it for him, it's like vicks....and I been using saline and the bulb...and even albuterol nebulizer treatments....it's not allergies...my only option is to take him to the ER or wait until tomorrow...and I can't afford the $200 + I will have to pay for an ER visit..

Also last night he slept for 14 hours straight. He ate 2oz of a bottle while he was asleep half way through...but that was it. But it is not normal for a 6month old to sleep for 14hrs straight, is it?

michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Yeah something's not right, he needs to be seen immediately. They need to do a chest x-ray to rule out fluid in his lungs. I'm afraid of this turning into pneumonia (sp?) since it's lasted for so long. If I had the money, I'd help you! I know how scary it is when something is wrong with your baby and you feel helpless. The next suggestion I have is to take him in to the urgent care clinic and raise hell. It's easy for them to turn you away over the phone, but when they see your sick baby, they will have to take him in.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 5:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2010