Ok she needs to lose the binki!

How do I do this? She is two and goes back and forth between her dad and I's houses. This binki thing has become a huge addiction for her day and night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when my oldest was 1 ( on his birthday exactly...) i had him help me gather them all up ( and all his bottles too) and we together threw them away in the big trash outside. i made a big fuss about how he was not a baby anymore and didnt need them. and that was that............he did ask a few times if he could have one and i just reminded him that they were gone and that was that.

dont give in it wil only make it worse the next time you try. and as for at dads.........he reallly needs to be on board with this or it wont work. if your not doing it together dont do it at all...........you can just wait for her to just give it up but it might hurt her teeth.but the potential damage to her development is not worth doing this without dads help. ( i have been taking classes in child development and specificly the development of the brain) it will make her insecure and cause all kinds of behavior problems

tina
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 7:17 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I took that away from my daughter when she was one. I don't speak to her father, but it was made clear not to give her a binki. If your daughter's father is giving her a binki when she's there and you're trying to get her off it...it's not going to work. Talk to him...and tell him he can't give in when she wants it. If he has some...throw them away...or don't send one over with her when she goes to see him. She should definitely be off that by now. Good luck
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Two isn't too bad though. I am probably not qualified to answer this since my son never did a pacifier but I have heard that you do some kind of binki ceremony into big-girl-hood and then swap for a new toy or blanket.

Friends of mine took every binki out of the house till they got down to one and then one day announced okay tomorrow before we go to chuck e cheese or the park, wherever we will send your binki off to the binki farm where it gets prepared for a new baby that will need it... How ever if fits with your lives
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 5:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My daughter just fell asleep without it one night...and we got rid of them all...the first few nights, she screamed but eventually forgot about it.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I would just tell your daughter's father that he can pay for the dental bill if he'd like for the braces that will be needed to help correct the problem of long term "binki" use.
    whit-wit

Answer by whit-wit at 8:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Go around the house with her, find them all and throw them out in the trashcan. Take the trash outside when done. When she asks for one, both you and her won't be able to get to one because they are all gone. It takes about three to four days before they stop asking. Just do it. Throw them away. If she sees them and is part of throwing them away, it will help her too.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 8:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• TAKE it away!
    Anonymous