I don't know what to do. I dont want to seem too paranoid. Any thoughts?

My son is 6 and a half months old. He has been sick with a cold for about two weeks now. No fever, just stuffy/runny nose, bad cough, and he hasn't been eating quite as much. We took his respiritory rate and it's 45, for his age, it should be 35, so it's a little high...and his pulse is somewhere between 100 and 120 and it should be somwhere between 140 and 170. There aren't any appointments available at our urgent care. What do you think I should do?
Also last night he slept for 14 hours straight. He ate 2oz of a bottle while he was asleep half way through...but that was it. But it is not normal for a 6month old to sleep for 14hrs straight, is it?

michellelee3708

Asked by michellelee3708 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can you talk to your ped? How can your urgent care be that if they require appointments? Sometimes hospitals have in them areas set aside for kids after hours. Maybe yours does but if you're not in network or an emergency it could be very costly to you.

I'd call the ped. and if he turns sleepy while awake and can't hardly stay awake after continuously sleeping long, get baby seen.

A emergency reassurance is sometimes worth the cost when the worry is longer term.

What would happen if you just walked into that urgent care? Would they really refuse to see you?
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 5:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My son just turned six months and occasionally sleeps that long. Its like catch up sleep for him. The doc said that was normal. Go with ur instincts though. Nobody knows better than you.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2010