how to get a boy with gynecomastia to cover up without hurting his feelings?

my youngest son, 12, has gynecomastia, a condition wear boys develop enlarged breasts. most boys get embarrassed and shy about it but not him. he gets confused for a girl all the time becausei i keep his hair very long, always have. he walks around in only boxers in the house, wich he learned from his older brothers. this bothers me because he sometimes goes outside like this and we are starting to have problems because people are saying we have a "topless girl" walking around. i was told that i should but i really dont want to have to cut his hair and he probably wont either.

mamamoni644

Asked by mamamoni644 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think if he is comfortable to just let him be him! If he likes his hair just let him keep it long! :) About the shirt thing let the people talk, but if someone says something to you about it stand up for him... Let them know that he is not a girl... People are just plain out rude sometimes!
    heatherjenea

Answer by heatherjenea at 8:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• He has the right to go topless, He is a BOY. Don't worry about what other people are saying. just leave him be. Look a lot of boys have long hair now. It is in style. Why are you worried about his hair, how long is it?
    Anonymous

• about how long his hair is, i do not have any pictures but my niece did put up a video of one time she decide to see what he would look like as a girl. this is him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6H-x9gA7LY
    mamamoni644

Answer by mamamoni644 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• If it doesnt bother him right now and hes not embarrased thats great! Dont make him self concious by making a big deal about it. He'll have issues with it later in life :( There are liposuction surgeries for Gynecomastia, but I'm not sure how old the child has to be.
    Anonymous

• I watched the video and he does look like a girl..... Not just his hair and breasts but his face... Im really not trying to be funny but does he like dressing up as a girl? Hea had finger nail polish and everything on.... Im wondering if maybe he is transgender? Im really not trying to hurt your feelingd or anything! I promise and if I have I am very sorry just wondering.....
    heatherjenea

Answer by heatherjenea at 6:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• he is not transgender. he does not show any signs of it at least. he has never asked to dress up and he is very much boyish. but i did think he would have asked me to cut his hair by now, but he hasn't. as much as i would hate to do it, if he asked i would let him get a haircut but he seems to like it. other than that, he seems all boy. the girls just did a great job making him up, thats all.
    mamamoni644

Answer by mamamoni644 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• It's his hair and he should do what he wants with it-whether it be cut it or not. And it sounds like you only want him to cover up because your embarrassed by it and don't want people talking. That's your problem, not his.

SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 2, 2010