how can i get my three yr old to listen and stop hitting me

my three yr old hits me if she cant have her way she throws her self around and srceams and some times bite i need some help i want to go crazy

Jocelynn18

Asked by Jocelynn18 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you have to pick a method of discipline and stick to it, be it loss of privelages, time outs, etc... no exceptions...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Consistency is key! Like PP said, pick a method and stick with it. I really like time outs. But some children just don't care about it - so taking away things works too! In this case, I would also caution against spanking - I don't like it in any instance - but especially here - you don't want to punish hitting with hitting. Spanking might confuse her. If you are using time outs, pick a spot where time out will always be. Make it as uninviting as possible - no toys, no books, no music or tv, no nothing. Then when she is put there tell her she will be in time out for x amount of time (I like 3 minutes). Time starts when she is sitting quietly. If she is screaming or getting up and moving then time starts over. Once 3 minutes is up, go to her and ask her if she understands why she was put in time out & talk about what she did, ask for an apology, and give her a hug (if you're a hugging family). Repeat as necessary. cont.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• cont.
    Remember that this will take time. She will most likely throw a fit about being disciplined. Keep with it! She will eventually understand you are not giving in on this! Good luck!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Take away whatever she throws and don't give it back until she listens. Ignore the temper tantrums and they will stop. I don't recommend spanking, you want her to learn how to act appropriately and that needs to be taught. Give her the skills to express her feelings at her age, she doesn't have them. I recommend the book, "1 2 3 Magic". It is an amazing discipline technique that works. It is no spanking, takes the emotion out of discipline. Read it all the way through and then follow the plan.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Try to stop the behavior before it esculates. Once she is in full swing , don't be an audience. If she hits you, or bites you, take her immediately to a time out spot, (same spot, every time) in your home. Sit her down and tell her she is in time out. It takes time for the little ones to learn to sit there in time out, each child varies. Once she has calmed down she has to say, I'm sorry before getting out of time out. Then when she is calm explain to her hitting hurts, biting hurts. Sometimes little ones do not realize their actions hurt people, they just do it because they are frustrated. Be consistent.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 9:01 AM on Jan. 3, 2010