Made the change to toddler bed need help!

Hello, i just changed my very active 20 month old son to a toddler bed, he started climbing out of his crib. My son is non stop, we would have to put him in his crib for a nap and he would cry and whine for a while til he ended up falling asleep. Well now that he is in a toddler bed he doesnt take a nap he just plays in his room. Also the same at night, he will play until he is so tired he passes out. what are some tips to have him take a nap and go to bed at a normal time for bed. any info will be great!
thanks

DilsMommy

Asked by DilsMommy at 6:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 2 year old son was the same.at 1 year old he was in his toddler bed and to get him to take a nap in that during the day i would before nap time i would allow my son to watch a dvd while in bed and when the 10 minutes was up he knew it was time to nap....i allowed 1 hr max for nap time this way he will still sleep at night.my son still went to bed at 7.30pm, with a story before hand and he slept "like a baby" so to speak lol.if my son gets up during the night i simply lead him back to bed and tell him "its bedtime baby"..if he does this more than once the same procedure occurs..he soon gets tired and stays in his bed.this may not be very helpful to you but try and persevere with the daytime naps if you feel he still needs them.he may just be growing out of them.i hope this helps a little.x
    glasgowmummy

Answer by glasgowmummy at 7:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• i always lay in my lil ones toddler bed with her until she falls asleep
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• You moved him too soon. You need to put him back in his crib and use a crib tent to keep him safely in there.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I tried to switch my then 20mth old son to his toddler bed, but he never stayed in it. hed get up all the time. so i had to switch him back to the crib so hed goto sleep. if he would climb out, just keep putting him back in. eventually he got tired of it. I would suggest waiting a little longer til lil guy is older to transform or get the toddler bed back out. hope this helps
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• What is your bedtime routine? You may want to consider adding some calming activities like story time or a few minutes of cuddles. . . When I moved my son to his big boy bed our routine already included story time and about 10 minutes of rocking/cuddle time so we just switched this to our routine for his big boy bed. He does like to hop up at nap time and run around but will usually settle down after a few minutes.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2010