Women should wait to have kids until they can stay home?

Do you think women should wait to have children until she can be a stay at home mom? Does it matter to you how long they stay home with their child (6 months, 2 years etc)? Do you feel women should wait on having children until she can stay home until the children go to school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• nope, I absolutely do not...

What people forget when they make statements like that is that working mothers provide services that stay a home moms use... from the cashier at the grocery store, to their hairdresser to the teacher that their children will have in school someday...

I will never be a stay at home mom.. because we will never be able to afford it and because I don't want to be...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• For a lot of people that will never happen. The cost of living in many places requires two incomes.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Honestly it's up to the mom, who cares what people think they're not the ones taking care of said kids. Improving ones self is just another way of making a better life for you and kids.
    Anonymous

• Yep.

What is the point in having a child just to ship them off to day care?
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 7:18 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Depends on the mom, I know i dont want anyone else raisn my kids but thats why when i do work my i work around my husband so one of us is always with the kids, we use a sitter for a couple hours but i think its good for moms to get out there and beable to support themselve and the kids, you never know if your husband will come home that day.
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 7:18 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• if you are lucky enough to have the financial stability of being a stay at home mum then thats great..i would love to be a stay at home mom to my 2 kids but unfortunately i can not afford to do so.i have however changed from full time employment to part time to allow more time to be spent with my kids.if you can balance work life and family life then it really doenst matter when you start a family as long as it works for those involved...the children will not suffer from having a working mother..afterall mother hood is a full time job in itself.
    glasgowmummy

Answer by glasgowmummy at 7:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• No!!! If I waited until I could stay home, I would have never had my amazing son. A mother doesn't have to stay home if she wants kids. A day care does NOT raise the children, the parents do. Honestly, I could never be a stay at home mom full time. I would go insane. I need adult time and my child needs time with kids his age.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• No I don't think that at all. There's a multitude of ways a mom can work and still be home with her kids, or not have her kids in daycare. Even if they do, as long as they are choosing what is right for them who are we to tell them they're wrong. My oldest 2 were in daycare because I was going to college to better myself, and then again when they were older because I HAD to work for about a year to get us financially secure before we decided to have our youngest so I could stay home. I did not miss anything by having my kids in daycare, and I think they benefitted from it personally. My boys are way more outgoing and independent than my DD, whom I have always stayed home with. They're a lot more social, and they still knew that I was their mom. They went to an awesome in home daycare that had my own morals and beliefs so I always was comfortable with it. I say let each mom decide the best for her and her family.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Well I certainly can't speak for other moms, but it's what I did. I had my first child at age 33 (hubby was 39 when he became a dad for the first time). I had spent my 20's focusing on my education, career, and travel. When my husband and I were dating we agreed that when we had children, that I would stay home with them until the younger one was in full day school. Last September my younger son started full-day Kindergarten, and I went back to work, in a completely different field, full time, as a special education teacher (I earned my teaching certificate while being a SAHM). I'm thrilled to have found this job, as I can STILL get my children on and off the bus each day, attend their school functions, and be home when they are home from school (vacations, holidays, snow days, etc.) So really, no one misses me! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I am a stay at home Mommy and I love it. If your child spends 8 hours a day in daycare, that is 1/3rd of their day... so the daycare does become a big thing in the kids life. My daughter is going on 7 months old and hasnt seen a minute of daycare, and I dont plan on that ever becoming part of her life.

Even after baby starts preschool, I will be staying at home. We have just chosen to raise our baby this way. We also dont plan on a big family (we are done with children) so our family wont be nearly as expensive as a 3-4 child family.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 7:34 PM on Jan. 2, 2010