My dog keeps getting into the garbage can!!!

As soon as I leave and lock the door, he heads for the kitchen and starts nosing at the garbage can. I know this because while my sister was here, she noticed him do it. I have tried one of those storage things with the lid that clicks on. He still got into that. He knocks it over and digs at the lid till it comes off. Does anyone know of a garbage can that is dog proof? He started doing it when I put him on a diet. I only reduced his food by half cup a day. He is also getting food of the middle of the dining room table. He's gotten into 2 boxes of hot chocolate I had set out to mail overseas. He's driving me crazy! I hate that I have to put the garbage in the bathroom. There isn't any other place to hide it. And I forget sometimes:(

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Pets

• Put him in the garbage can and yell at him and tell him he is a bad dog and make him stay there for 10 mins, that worked with our dog she doesn't get into the garbage anymore.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:02 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Cayenne pepper. I sprinkled it heavily over the trash cans and the outside lawn furniture that our dog kept chewing on. She stays away from it like mad now. The cayenne lit her up like mad, burning her mouth and nose and she won't touch any of it now.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 8:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Sprinkle the garbage with Vinegar. As far as the dog getting things off the table, etc.....when doggy does that, give him a quick squirt of Lemon Juice in his mouth. (those lemon shaped lemon juice things are not expensive) They don't like it but it doesn't hurt them. Then whenever you leave something out, leave one of those little lemon shaped lemon juice containers in front of it....it won't be long until doggy will be leaving stuff alone because he/she won't want a squirt of lemon juice. You do have to be consistent with it, just like with a child.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Dogs are totally in the moment. They have about an 8 minute memory. Most of the time, they can't correlate your anger with the mess and that they made the mess. You come home mad so they think opening the door makes you mad.

I'm guessing you have a Labrador.

Dogs that "supplement themselves" with garbage and food thieving need to be fed a different food AND crate trained. A quality diet dog food and canned green beans will help. Go to Costco and get the huge industrial can of green beans. Give him food mixed with equal green beans.

Dogs who can't be trusted need a crate. Chocolate is dangerous. He could eat something more dangerous in the future. If he eats something valuable or chews the carpet... oh you'll be so so so mad. Destructive behavior is addictive. It'll get worse.

He needs exercise. Tired dogs are good dogs. If he had a good run and a can of green beans, he'd sleep.

Crate. green beans.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• The easiest thing to do is put the trash can somewhere where the dog can't get to it when you are gone. There are things you can do that will punish the dog when you are not around but the problem with those is most of them have to be reset so the dog learns if they set it they can go after the trash later. Although there is a product for cats called SSscat that sprays when the can jumps up on the counter or in an area the owner does not want them to it has a motion scensor built in so that may teach the dog not to go in the trash.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I have a dog that when I put her on a diet, thought everything on the counter was hers. I put a few NEW set mouse traps on the counter and the first time she got that thing snapped on her lip she learned that it wasn't a good idea. Maybe with the trash can that has the lid you can set a mouse trap on it. It sounds mean but It works really well and if its so terrible to them then they wont do it again. GL
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 10:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• LOL!! He won't fit in the garbage can. He's not a Lab, he's a Beagle. I've used the cayenne pepper before, he sneezes, but goes back. I used it when he'd dig. I know he doesn't like strong smells, so I'll try the vinegar. LOL! The mouse traps! Ha! I hadn't thought about that!! And his memory, is definatly longer then 8 min. As soon as I walk in the door, if he's done bad, he either won't look at me, or he sulks away, crouched to the floor. He KNOWS!! I'll try the lemon juice, and maybe the mouse traps. Thanks for the great ideas!! He sleeps in his crate, it's his safe place. He didn't start this until after he was put on a diet. Same food, just a little less. I didn't know they could eat green beans, does it fill them up more? Does Petsmart carry the SSscat? That might work, too. Thanks again for the ideas!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• We have our trash can in cabinet under our oven. One of my dogs recently figured out how to open the cabinet so now we have the child proof magnetic lock things on there to keep her out. One thing you might try is to add a bunch of frozen green beans to your dog's food. Helps to offset the decrease in dog food as far as he will get full without adding a lot of calories. When we put my dog on a diet, I decreased her evening meal by 1/4 cup and then added the green beans. I kept her morning meal the same.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Raine,

We had a great dane.....trust me, he didn't need to "knock over" the garbage can or jump up to get things off the counter, he could reach them just standing there. The lemon juice worked and he learned really fast NOT to take things off tables, counters, etc. After awhile we didn't even need to put the lemon juice containers out. I got the idea from a trainer and it worked. I also taught him NOT to take ANYTHING that was not offered by one of us. I could throw meat on the floor, tell him to leave it, leave the room for awhile and he wouldnt touch it till I gave him the OK. I never had to worry about him being poisoned accidentally or leaving a roast in the sink to thaw out. Whatever was put in the garbage stayed there regardless. But like I said, you have to be consistent with it....they're just like small children in needing reinforcement until they learn.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:49 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• I use phooey. Its a spray like bitter apple only it works a bit better.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:16 AM on Jan. 4, 2010