My ex husband called the cops on me

Well me and my husband went to court a few months ago stating that he wanted his 3 kids for the weekend so he has to pick them up everyfriday by 8 in the morning so i gave him a little time to come and come over cus i know thursday was new years eve so he was probably went out with friends that day so I call him at 9:00 in the morning so he didnt answer his cell so i left him a message to call me when he gets this message and to also ask him why didnt he call his kids to wish them a happy new year my kids was waiting for his call all night. so he calls me at 8:00 at night on friday if its ok to pick up his kids and i ask him the kids were asleep so i didnt want to wake them so like an hour go by the cops are knocking on my door with my ex husband for the kids so i didnt answer the door. so do you think i made a right move on the situation?

MommyG203

Asked by MommyG203 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• You need to go back to court, he isn't responsible enough for the agreement that you have new years or not if you are supposed to get your kids at 8 am then you do it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Ok what a jerk. He should have been there when he was suppose to. Not call and expect you to get the kids up because he is ready for them. I would have opened the door. Told the cops about it and let them decide that it was right of him to call the cops because of him bing a jerk.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• ok let me get this straight...
    Your ex husband didnt pick up the kids when he was supposed to, and didnt answer when you called. So 12 hours after he was supposed to get them, he calls to get them, but you said they were sleeping. Then you avoid the cops from getting your children to give to him (as per the custoday agreement), and you want to know of you did the right thing? NO you didnt. He was in the wrong for waiting so long to get them, and if you would have answered the door, and explained to the police that the children were sleeping- you might have been able to keep them over night. But now, you are going against the custody agreement.
    Anonymous

• sounds like you both need to compromise for the kids sake and stop being petty, not just saying you should of course he should too but getting the cops involved and not answering the door raises red flags even if their is no cause otherwise.

Sounds like issues are still there, please make it work for those kids sake.
    Anonymous

• I would have answered the door but I would have told the officers that he was to be there at 8 AM not 8 PM and that the kids were in bed asleep. I would have said he can get them in the morning when they were awake. I guess if they didn't like that they would have let me know.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:02 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• It's pointless to even give advice because your going to argue why your in the right.
    Anonymous

• You should told him when he called to come and get the kids. I would not have woke them up myself though. I would have made him wake them up and got them ready.

Answer by louise2 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I'm just going to say it- Anon 8:01- You're an asshole!! She had every right to do what she did.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

which 8:01
    Anonymous

• I may be missing something but is the agreement that him being late forfeits his time with his children? I understand divorce gets tense but all of a sudden he has to be perfect or he is too irresponsible to see his children. Is that the best thing for the kids or for you not wanting to be bothered because he was a crappy husband. Is he a crappy father, if he is then by all means maybe you do need to go back to court to protect your children from him.

If he is a good father then cut him some slack for the kids sake. Screw him, don't think you are doing him any favors but the more functional relationship your children can have with the father the more functional children and adults they will be. There is plenty of time for them to grow up and realize he is an idiot but it doesn't need to be right now.

Maybe waking them up would have been a treat since they only get one of their parents two days out of a week
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 9:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2010