Worried mom to be!

OK, so the Navy allows the MARRIED father to take 10 days leave for a birth. So does that mean sinse me and my BF arent married I wont have any help? I live in CA and my family is back in TN! What am I supposed to do if he can't get the leave. my mother is coming out for two weeks after the baby is born(she has to also take vacation from work so that takes time) but we cant plan exactly when he will be born so I am worrying about being able to heal and care for baby if I have to do it alone 8 hours or more a day right after he is born. Any other Navy girlfriends out there that have been through this? I mean we couldnt help being pregnant when getting orders to move cross country! Is there any hope thay will be understanding?

ashley_2187

Asked by ashley_2187 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• He needs to ask is Co, they might give him leave
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 8:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• well mine is not in the navy but I took care of my kids by myself even the first right after their birth. The fact that your mother will help for 2 weeks is so nice! I never had that. I now have 3.
    Anonymous

• I don't know why they would do anything different just because you aren't married. He is the FATHER after all and should be allowed to be there. Not sure how fast your mom can get there, but if you call when labor starts she might make it on time. You will probably be tied up in the hospital for a day or two anyway. What about his parents?? Can they come down and help? Worse case scenario you are by yourself, sleep when baby sleeps and feed him/her when they're hungry.You can still get rest and manange baby if you skip housework for awhile. Cook some meals now and freeze them for later so you have a quick bite to eat and screw the house work for awhile.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• You might want to hire a doula. Sometimes they will help with housework and all sorts of things.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• So marry the man and have the benefits. Why would you not get married?
    Anonymous

• He can probably apply for leave anyway, since it's his baby.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2010