15 month old in "big boy" bed tomorrow... tips and tricks?

We are getting our 15 month old a twin bed tomorrow. Should we leave it off of the frame for awhile until he gets used to it, even if we are using a bed rail?
We have him sleeping in his pack and play right now, since we moved from out of state and didn't want to bother with the crib.. and he is getting close to the weight limit, and I think a toddler bed is a waste of money when he can use the twin so much longer!
And, like, what if he keeps getting out of bed, especially at nap time? Do I let him get up and play, or do I go in, put him back in bed, and say "nap time" over and over til he gets it?
Thanks!

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I pushed the bed against the wall and put the crib beside the outside edge so that the little one still felt the security of having the crib there and couldn't fall out, yet he could climb out at the bottom of the bed where the crib didn't reach. There are also railings that can be put up along the outside edge of the bed to provide a little more security. I also called the bed. (name)'s bed, so that he'd get the message that it was his.

Answer by Bmat at 9:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I had the same issue with both my girls around that age.
    I made the room completly dark so they could not see the toys, out of sight out of mind
    its been a year almost of doing that and its still working
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 9:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My DD went to a twin size bed when she was about 18 mo. We used the frame but DH put boards under the bed instead of the box spring, that way it wasn't super high off the floor. If you have a box spring I would put it on the floor. We pushed the bed against the wall in the corner and was a bed rail on the one side. The biggest thing was we went and let DD pick out the sheets and blankets (she picked Dora). I haven't had a problem with her ever getting out though, she's 2 and still waits for me to come in in the morning to get her.
    MissMorgan07

Answer by MissMorgan07 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• we bought our dd a full size bed, and we just stuck it on the floor, its got the box spring- so its got a little height, but nothing that can hurt if she falls in the middle of the night. as for getting out of bed and playing with toys, she does that, but in the morning she is always in her bed when i go in. for a while i would get her in the morning, and there would be all her little toys in bed with her. but i give her a couple stuffed animals and tell her its bedtime. thats what we have done since about 1 yr. and she 3, still sleeping in her own bed.
    Anonymous

• We changed my son (17 mo) to his toddler bed a couple of weeks ago and haven't had any of the problems we expected. We thought he would be climbing out all night but he hasn't tried at all (he climbed out more when it was a crib) A couple of times at bed time he has gotten out... but at night after his bath he gets songs and then books. We rock in the chair and sing a few songs and then lay him down in his bed to listen to a story or two and he just lays down. If he gets up we put him back and tell him it's "night night time" and he's been fine with it. He actually seems more willing to lay down not being "trapped".
    A friend of mine also just changed her son to a queen sized bed (also 17 mo) and they expected he would have troubles with it too... and she said that he's doing great with it and actually sleeping better.
    So i would just wait and see what he does. If he does get out put him back, don't let him play.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2010