Is it normal for a 15 month old to hit??

My daughter hits me when she is mad and I tell her no and hold her arms to show her that hugs are what you give, I am just wondering if it is normal for a 15 month old to hit because I have never touched my daughter and I am worried.

Alicia10-2-08

Asked by Alicia10-2-08 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't worry it is normal. Even if you don't hit. She is testing you to see what you will do. Just keep doing what you are doing.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Does she watch ANY violent TV? IDK I never heard of that being normal. My daughter is 20 months and never even attemted to hit me. I would ask her Dr.
    Anonymous

• My son who is 3.5 now started hitting about that time, it was a way for him to say he was frustrated or didn't want to do something. I think it is normal for some kids, (not necessarily those who see it on TV or not) You just have to be consistent and teach her each time that it is not ok. that's about the time we started time outs. my son is very strong-willed and has a stubborn streak...we don't hit him or slap him or spank him and he doesn't watch violent TV...
    mkbugs

Answer by mkbugs at 9:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• My almost 3 year old hits when he's angry or frustrated...I think it's pretty normal for many kids, and they learn it without seeing it anywhere. When they aren't able to fully express all their emotions with words, they have to resort to doing something physical to convey their frustration...Alex has finally gotten to the point where he doesn't actually hit a lot of the time, he just swings his little fist like he's going to. Still not ideal, but better than actually hitting, plus it shows me that he really does have self control when he wants to!

Like others said, just be consistent in teaching her that it's not okay to hit and hopefully she outgrows it soon!
    PrincessZ20

Answer by PrincessZ20 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• this is a developmental stage. it is verry normal.........language is understood long before it is able to be used. your child does not have the laguage development to express what he is feeling/needing and so this and often things like biting and such occur as a release of such emotions. if you watch your child for cues you will be able to see WHY she hits. then if you can meet the need before the frustration hits you will find he stops hitting. when she does hit simply say " i know your ( insert emotion) but we dont hit. hitting hurts!" then give options that are acceptable for her to do (example: you cant hit mommy but you can hit this pillow or tell me what you want with your words" then meet the need that caused the incident. good luck.
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 6:50 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

• A physical reaction is the most basic for of expression. Children are mainly going from that basic perspective and so I feel that it is normal. Not all children react the same so no every child hits at 15 months but I would say as long as you are firm with her and let her know that it is unacceptable then she will learn that hitting isn't getting the reaction she wanted.
    Kysmom6

Answer by Kysmom6 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2010