My mom says that im spoiling my baby (5 days old) because i pick him up when he cries. I say you can't spoil a newborn baby. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You cannot spoil a newborn. Period. Pick him up, cuddle him and ignore your Mom!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Oh gosh at 5 days pick the baby up. You aren' t spoiling him.

Answer by Bmat at 9:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• No you are not spoiling the baby. You letting the baby know you are there for what it needs.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• no mine is 5 months old and i still pick him up when he cries they are only little for a little while enjoy it
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I think if you dont pick him up you are neglecting his needs. You cant spoil a child under 6 months.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• picking up a crying baby is showing them you will respond to their needs, and ensuring that you will have a well adjusted older child who demands less of your time because they KNOW they will be cared for.

it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to spoil a baby with love, hugs, kisses. gentle touches and security. that is what being a mother is all about!!!

gently lay down the law with your mum- this is my baby, and when he cries i will pick him up, that is how I have chosen to care for him.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Your mother is wrong, very wrong, totally wrong.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Holy crap! Um, no! A newborn is not manipulating you for crying out loud. I'm sorry your mom told you that. You don't have to answer, but what on earth was your mother like as a mother? Yikes! Five days old!
    Please, please pick up your baby and hold him/her! They just got out of a very cramped, warm, cuddly environment and they're cold and disoriented. Comfort that baby!
    Anonymous

• OMG, my mother said the same crap to me. I say at 5 days give him all the attention you want and ignroe your mom I did
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• You're not spoiling him but you are setting up expectations that every time he cries you're going to come running. Babies do need to cry to help expand their lungs so it won't hurt him to wait a few minutes. If you're doing something when he starts fussing try talking to him so he knows you're there until you've finished the task you're doing. If you drop everything the minute the baby starts crying you'll never get things done and you'll wear yourself out. The main thing is to let the baby know you're there and not ignoring him.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 9:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2010