My first prenatal appt is Monday

I will be almost 8 weeks along. How will they know the baby still is ok since they can't get a heartbeat yet with the doppler and they just did a confirmation sono a week ago? What all will they do to me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• my first appt they just drew blood for hormone levels and wrote and rx for prenatals... not much else they can do that early
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• well they do i pap and a ultrasound and just if u have never met the dr they do a little meeting at least that is what they do where i live oh and they take some blood
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• a pap smear/pelvic exam, fundal check, blood tests to confirm and look for other stds (stds,hiv,Iron), pelvic exam, so be prepared for lab tests blood drawn and all sort of invasion lol but it's for the safety of baby.
    Anonymous

• As long as there is no bleeding or any signs of a problem, they will continue to check your urine until you are far enough along to use the doppler for the heartbeat. Sometimes, the dr will do a follow up ultrasound to make sure the baby is growing and everything is progressing fine, mine did. Try not to worry too much... Also if you havent got any blood work they will do that as well in the weeks to come as well as a pap and stuff.
    landensmommy2

Answer by landensmommy2 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• They may just answer any questions, feel your abdomen, and check your blood pressure, maybe take a urine sample, check your due date, etc.

I can't say exactly. I never got my first "prenatal" check up till around 10 weeks after I was released from my fertility clinic. This last pregnancy, they never not once took a urine sample the whole pregnancy. I guess all doctors/offices are different so what one does, another may not do.
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 9:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• You should expect to have the following tests and exams conducted:
    Pelvic Exam, Pap Smear to check for gynecological health and that no abnormal cells are present
    ,Check cultures for sexual transmitted diseases such as Chlamydia and gonorrhea. They will take approximately 4 vials of blood to test for : Hepatitis B, Toxoplasmosis immunity, anemia, blood type, syphilis, immunity to rubella (German measles), and they will likely offer to test your blood for HIV. Take urine sample to test for proteins, urinary tract infection, and sugar levels. Most Doctor’s offices will require a urine sample at every visit. Listen to your heart and lungs Physical exam of your breasts Physical exam of your uterus to make sure it is growing at the appropriate rate.Along with all the testing your Doctor will counsel you on various testing options.
    Anonymous