Anybody else have a progesterone IUD?

I am 9.5 months pp and had an IUD put in in May. I've often had debilitating cramps-the last round was about 4 weeks ago. Now, at 9.5 months pp, I've had a bit of a period. I say a bit because it was light and like, one tiny little bit of tissue/lining. This shocked me because I didn't have anything for 13.5 months pp with my first (I bf), and 15 months with my second (bf, plus progesterone bc). I'm totally witchy with my kids and husband, and my milk supply is definitely less than with my other two. A somewhat hidden blessing there, as my other two would choke and gag because I had over production and over active let down problems. I didn't put two and two together until I saw something that said it CAN affect supply. Nice to know SEVEN MONTHS later... :(

Anyway, does anybody know if this is normal? Replies appreciated!!

zqqkeeper

Asked by zqqkeeper at 9:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Health

• I have the Mirena IUD as well. My baby is nearly 16 months old. I have not had any cramping at all. I have not had any milk supply issues either. This is my second IUD. I had the first one for 5 years, had it removed, then had the most recent baby. I breastfed my older son as well. I never had any milk suppy issues or cramps with the last IUD either.
    eastonbennett

Answer by eastonbennett at 10:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Thank you! I've been thinking that there is something not right with this thing. I mean, I know that those are some of the possible side effects, but it's getting ridiculous. I've long had issues with bc. I can't take oral ones because they mess with my mental state-especially anything dual-hormone. They said the IUD might be better because it releases such a small amount of hormone at a time. I've really not been happy about the level of support from Mirena. Every time I try to call, I never get to talk to anyone. I was told there would be a forum on their site and there's not. I'm thinking of having it switched to the copper kind-even though I do NOT fancy having to go through insertion again. And I read that it can make me have frequent periods. I'm also switching doctors, as my doctor retired and I'm not too happy with the others in the practice. *sigh* Just hoping we don't have to rely on condoms. Too much risk with that.
    zqqkeeper

Answer by zqqkeeper at 11:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2010