My sore nipples!

My eight month old is teething and uses her two bottom (and incredibly sharp!) teeth to bite my nipples when I nurse her. I really do not want to stop nursing...what else can I do to make her stop?

My mom says I should pop her when she does it but I am NOT hitting my eight month old.

Mrs.Mack.

Asked by Mrs.Mack. at 10:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Push your finger between your nipple and her mouth every time she does it and say NO biting! Or Ouch. Try not to do it real loud or in frightening voice, just firmly say No Biting! And don't let her nurse again for several minutes. If she does it consistently for a time, do not let her nurse until the next usual time you nurse her. But do give her something to teeth with or use some Orajel. Some suggest a frozen wet washcloth is good for chewing on if teething.

But do pop her off of the nipple. (not pop her like swatting her just remove her from the nipple) The finger between her teeth will pull her off of you and i Know you'd rather have your finger bitten for a second than your nipple. I'm nursing my 2nd and 3rd right now so I know the feeling!! My 2nd used to unlatch by pressing her gums together and pulling off that way. OUCH!!!!!!
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 11:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• i would make her stop eating and say "no' then let her back on.. but then agian, i wasnt nursing anymore whe my older DS had teeth...
    Aimee91

Answer by Aimee91 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• I've heard that you can say "No Biting!!" in a really firm voice, put the baby down and then walk out of the room and then come back and start to nurse again. My daughter doesn't have teeth, yet, so I don't have any actual experience on this.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• When my son was teething I would take him off and say "don't bite" and keep him off for a few seconds... if he did it again I kept him off a little longer, after awhile I think he figured out that if he was hungry he shouldn't bite down.
    It also got better with time because they start to get use to the new teeth and they cover their teeth with their tongue like they should and it doesn't hurt.
    My son would bite most often when he was about finished anyway... so if she has been eating awhile then just take her off.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• Baby cannot bite when she is actively nursing because her tongue will be covering those lower teeth. If you watch her you will probably figure out when she is most likely to bite, like at the end of a feeding, and take her off BEFORE she bites. Awesome info at When Baby Bites

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 2, 2010