My daughter is almost 18 months old and I know I need to start thinking about potty training. We got her a potty for christmas but I just dont know where to begin. HELP

KPlunk

Asked by KPlunk at 10:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't worry about it until she is at least 2. We started at 2 with each of our kids. #1 wasn't potty trained until she was 3 years, 2 months, #2 was 2 1/2, #3 was 3 years, 8 months and #4 was 2 1/2.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2010

• It really depends on the kid. At this age, I would focus more on naming the terms associated with potty, allowing her into the bathroom when you go, pointing out when doggies or cats go potty, getting her a book or two about going potty and encouraging her to tell you when she has to go. Once you do start potty training, you can't stop....you have to see it through so it is better to wait until you're sure they're ready. Older children tend to pick it up quicker and get it more consistently than younger children. Our pediatrician recommended a "potty weekend" once we start training. Confine your child to an easily cleaned floor area (tiled kitchen, etc.) for the day, turn the temperature up a little in the house and let you child go naked all day. Every time they go potty, they will immediately feel the effects and thus learn the sensation very quickly. Once they've learned what it feels like, they train much easier.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:24 AM on Jan. 3, 2010